The Chew: The Battle Of The Iron Grandmas: Mother’s Day Edition
With celebrity judges Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian, Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr., and Chef Douglas Rodriguez sitting as judges, the Iron Grandmas competed today to see who would be leaving victorious, and who would just be leaving…for bingo night (joke credit: Clinton Kelly). Who will walk home with the Golden Quiche in The Battle Of The Iron Grandmas: Mother’s Day Edition: Antionette with her Eggs In Purgatory, Donna’s Cream Puffs, or Mama T’s Fabulous French Toast?
The Chew: Antionette’s Eggs In Purgatory Recipe
Starting off as her mom’s recipe, who always loved to fry eggs and olive oil, Antionette took her mom’s recipe and added a few ingredients.
- 4 Extra Large Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup fresh Ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh Parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon sharp imported Provolone (grated)
- 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
- sharp Provolone for shaving
- 4 pieces seeded Italian Loaf (cut on bias about 1/2-3/4 inch thick)
- salted Butter for toast
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- sweet Basil to garnish
The Chew: Antionette’s Eggs In Purgatory Recipe Directions
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, parsley, provolone, salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Heat a oven-safe medium non-stick skillet over medium with butter until melted and foam subsides.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and fry on one side – Antionette used sunny side up eggs.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before you flip them.
- Remove the pan from the heat and flip eggs.
- Top with large spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture, spoonfuls of the marinara and top with freshly shaved provolone – Antoinette likes provolone for its sharpness.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook just to melt the cheese.
- Make sure not to overcook the eggs.
- The yolk should still be runny.
- Toast the sliced bread in the oven while the eggs are baking.
- Remove both from the oven and butter the toast.
- Plate each egg on a piece of toast.
- Sprinkle fresh pepper and chopped sweet basil to garnish.
The Chew: Donna’s Cream Puffs Recipe Ingredients
Donna is covering dessert with something that she says is very easy to make. A dessert that can be made quickly is never a bad thing.
- 1 stick Butter
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Flour
- 4 Eggs
- melted Semi-Sweet Chocolate to drizzle
- Powdered Sugar to garnish
For The Cream Filling
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 3.4-ounce package of Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
The Chew: Donna’s Cream Puffs Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the water and butter to a 2 quart sauce pot and bring to a rapid boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Stir until the mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Turn dough out into a large bowl and add the eggs and beat until incorporate.
- Continue to beat until the dough is sticky and glossy.
- Scoop rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased baking sheet making sure to give a little space between each round.
- Use your finger to elongate some of the rounds to create an oblong puff.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the puffs are glossy and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Slice puffs in half crosswise and fill with a dollop of cream.
- Garnish the round puffs with powdered sugar and the elongated puffs with a drizzle of melted chocolate.
For The Cream Filling
- Whisk together the cream, milk and vanilla pudding mix until fully combined and no lumps remain.
The Chew: Mama T’s Fabulous French Toast Recipe Ingredients
So what if she’s Italian? Mama T is making French toast.
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 stick Butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon (divided) plus more to sprinkle
- 3 Granny Smith Apples (peeled; cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 Italian Loaf (without seeds 1″ thick slices)
- 6 Eggs (whisked)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch freshly Nutmeg (plus more to sprinkle)
- Powdered Sugar to garnish
- Maple Syrup to garnish
- Whipped Cream to garnish
The Chew: Mama T’s Fabulous French Toast Recipe Directions
- In a large bowl stir together the sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined.
- Add the thinly sliced apples (Mama T likes tart apples. Think Granny Smith), cranberries and walnuts and toss to coat.
- Spread into an even layer in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Loosely shingle a layer of sliced bread into the dish. Make bread one inch thick.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Cover with aluminum foil and allow to set in the fridge overnight so that it will absorb in all the flavors and for easier preparation.
- Remove the dish from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Lift off foil and sprinkle with reserved cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg over top and return foil to cover.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake dish for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove foil cover and return to the oven to bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly crispy on top, but not dry.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before cutting.
- Serve with powdered sugar and syrup or freshly whipped cream.
The Chew: The Battle Of The Iron Grandmas: Mama T Wins The Golden Quiche
So of these recipes, whose reigned supreme? When it came down to it, Mama T’s Fabulous French Toast. The vote was pretty much unanimous that this luxurious dish was the perfect compliment to Mother’s Day.