Daphne Oz: Scallion Chile Sweet Potato Cake Recipe
What’s a steakhouse celebration without delicious side dishes? Ditch the traditional french fries and creamed spinach for something a bit more exciting. At the end of the show, The Chew hosts shared a few of their favorite side dishes, including Daphne’s Scallion Chile Sweet Potato Cake Recipe.
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Cake
- 2 large, peeled, sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Fresno chiles (sliced into rounds)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh scallions
Ingredients For Salad
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup parsley
- leaves picked
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat the broiler and arrange a rack 6 inches away from the heating source.
- Boil potatoes for 20 minutes and let cool before slicing to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a 6-8 inch cast iron pan over medium heat. Add fresno chiles and scallions until softened, then remove from pan.
- Add potato slices to create a uniform layer in the pan. Cook about 3 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Remove pan from heat.
- Arrange the remaining potatoes into even layers over the crispy potatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper and fresno slices and scallions. Press each layer firmly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in the oven and brown about 5 minutes, until potatoes are crispy. Toss salad ingredients together with salt and pepper, then garnish potato cake with the salad.
The Chew: Viewer Steak Questions
Later, The Chew crew answered a couple of viewer steak questions, just in case you didn’t learn enough! The hosts agreed that a cast iron skillet is the perfect substitute for a grill, resting time should equal 1/3 of the cooking time, and if your steak is tough, make sure you’re cutting it against the grain.