The Chew: Carla Hall’s Minted Watermelon and Cucumber Punch
On The Chew June 11 2013, Carla Hall brough the beverage to the table for your summer meals with her minted watermelon and cucumber punch recipe. This punch takes cucumbers and peels them, then freezes them to allow them to act as flavorful ice cubes for this wonderful summer beverage. The entire recipe is to taste, so no matter how you mix it, you can’t do this tasty beverage wrong.
The Chew: Minted Watermelon and Cucumber Punch Recipe
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 bunch fresh Mint leaves (plus more to garnish)
- 2 cups Watermelon cubes
- 2 English Cucumbers (peeled and cubed; plus cucumber slices to garnish)
- 1/4 cup Lime juice
- 24 ounces Club Soda
The Chew: Minted Watermelon and Cucumber Punch Directions
- Place half of the cucumber on a sheet tray and freeze.
- In a medium sauce pot, stir together the sugar and water over medium-high heat.
- Once the sugar has dissolved remove from heat and pour into a heat proof bowl with mint leaves.
- Allow to steep until cooled to room temperature.
- Use frozen cucumbers as ice cubes.
- Strain out mint leaves.
- Simple syrup can be made a week ahead and stored in the fridge.
- Place the watermelon in a food processor and puree.
- Strain through a mesh sieve to remove pulp.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cucumber.
- Stir together the watermelon and cucumber juices.
- Add the minted simple syrup and lime juice.
- Chill mixture until ready to serve.
- Place a few pieces of frozen cucumber into each glass.
- Fill each glass 2/3 full with the punch.
- Top off with club soda and garnish with mint sprigs and sliced cucumber.