The Chew: Daphne Oz’s Grilled Cantaloupe and Vegetable Salad & Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette
On The Chew, Daphne Oz of course showed us how to keep eating healthy during the summer with her grilled cantaloupe and vegetable salad recipe with a delicious red wine shallot vinaigrette.
The Chew: Grilled Cantaloupe and Vegetable Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 2 ears Sweet Summer Corn (in their husks)
- Olive Oil for the grill or grill pan
- 2 medium Zucchini (sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips)
- 1 bunch of Asparagus (woody ends removed)
- 1 medium Cantaloupe (halved; seeded; skin removed and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges)
- 1 head of Romaine Lettuce (finely chopped)
- 3 Persian Cucumbers (sliced into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1 Avocado (pitted; peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 12 fresh Basil Leaves (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Red Wine-Shallot Vinaigrette
- Lemon wedges for serving
Daphne Oz Grilled Cantaloupe and Vegetable Salad Directions
- Soak the corn (in husks) in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot, or heat a stovetop cast-iron grill pan to medium-high.
- Brush the grill lightly with oil (and apply again before grilling new items).
- Husk the corn, discarding the corn silk and husks.
- Grill the corn, rotating in quarter turns for 20 to 30 minutes until all the kernels are cooked and tender and some have blackened and charred.
- Grill the zucchini until tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Grill the asparagus until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Grill the cantaloupe on each side until heated through and grill marks develop, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Chop the zucchini, asparagus, and melon into bite-sized pieces, and cut the corn kernels from the cob.
- Lay a bed of lettuce on each serving plate and top with the grilled items and the cucumbers, avocado, and tomatoes.
- Tear fresh basil over the top.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette (about 2 tablespoons per serving).
- Serve the salad with fresh lemon wedges.
Daphne Oz Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine (or Apple Cider) Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced Shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Raw Honey or Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh Lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Coriander
- Salt and fresh-cracked Black Pepper
The Chew: Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette Directions
- In a blender or using a whisk, combine all the ingredients and blend until emulsified.
- Keep any remaining dressing in the refrigerator in a clean, air-tight glass jar for up to 1 week.
- Daphne liked to save and sanitize (simply boil in hot water for 5 minutes and dry) old mustard or jam jars just for this.