The Chew: Daphne Oz’s Sweet and Spicy Wings
Daphne Oz and Mario Batali decided to have a contest to see who can make the best wings. Three audience members were blindfolded and had sound-canceling ear muffs on in order for them to have a completely genuine reaction to which wing they liked better. Why didn’t they just ask these audience members to leave the room? Good question. I was wondering that, too.
Anyway, the trick here is that since today’s theme was comfort food without the calories, Daphne Oz’s wings had a lot less calories, mostly due to the fact that she baked hers, rather than fried them.
Mario Batali’s Honey Wings
Ultimately, though, the blindfolded audience members chose Mario Batali’s Honey Wings over Daphne’s Sweet and Spicy Wings. Still, in my opinion, Daphne’s looked better. And you could have two of hers for every one of Mario’s in terms of calories.
The Chew: Daphne Oz Sweet and Spicy Baked Wings Recipe
Ingredients For the Wings:
- 2 dozen Chicken Drumettes
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons low sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Chili
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
- Start with the marinade. Combine olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, chili powder, mustard and garlic. Daphne ultimately decided in the moment to add some honey. Feel free to do that, if you like! Pour over wings and let sit for at least two hours, up to overnight.
- Put aluminum foil over a cookie sheet. Lightly sprinkle olive oil over the foil. Place the chicken on top of the cookie sheet. Bake for 425 F for 40 minutes. Halfway through the cook time, rotate the tray.
- Combine sambal, honey, dijon mustard, ginger and salt. Baste the chicken in this halfway through the bake.
- Combine dipping sauce ingredients. Pour onto the wings when they come out.
The Chew: Mario Batali Deep Fried Honey Glazed Wings Recipe
For the Wings & Marinade:
- 2 dozen Drumettes
- 1 1/2 cups Soy Sauce
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced thinly)
- 1/3 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 1-inch piece Ginger (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic cloves (smashed)
Ingredients For the Glaze:
- Olive Oil
- Flour (for dredging)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
Ingredients For the Garnish:
- 3 Shallots (cut into 1/8-inch rings)
- Wondra (for dusting)
- 1/3 cup Scallions (sliced thinly; rings separated)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Like Daphne’s, start with a marinade. Combine chopped jalepenos, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, olive oil and honey. Mix it together and pour over wings. Let them marinate for at least an hour and up to six.
- Rub chicken in cornstarch. This is to add a bit of a crunch to the chicken, while still being a thin layer.
- Put oil in a pot and bring up to 370 F. Drop chicken in the oil. Fry for ten minutes.
- Begin making the glaze. Combine soy, vinegar, honey and sriracha.
- Toss chicken in the glaze. Add cilantro and scallions.