The Chew: Dahpne Oz’s Scallion Chile Sweet Potato Cake Recipe
Daphne Oz takes her turn behind the stove to make a Scallion Chile Sweet Potato Cake. She said this dish is great to be eaten whenever, with turkey during Thanksgiving or topped with eggs in the morning.
Oz said she came up with the dish after she was looking through her favorite cookbook My Father’s Daughter. She saw a similar recipe and decided to make it more Thanksgiving friendly with some sweet potatoes.
Check out the recipe below:
For the Sweet Potato Cake:
- 2 large sweet potatoes (each about 2/3 lb; peeled)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chiles (sliced into rounds) of your choosing.
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh scallions
For the Salad:
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup parsley
- leaves picked
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the Sweet Potato Cake:
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange a rack 6 inches away from the heating source.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes and let them cool before slicing them into 1/8-inch thick slices. You want them to be still be firm, but the outside soft.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a 6-8 inch cast iron pan over medium heat. Cook the chiles and scallions for a few minutes, until softened. Remove from pan.
Daphne Oz recommended Fresno chiles because they are a nice color and have a mild heat. If you like spicy foods, use some habanero peppers. If you like a very mild spice, use some poblano chiles.
- Add as many potato slices as can fit in one layer of the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Remove pan from heat.
Daphne Oz said this is the key to making it taste great. Both sides of the bottom row of potatoes need to be browned. This will help keep the juices in, while making the dish crispy.
- Arrange the remaining potatoes into even layers over the crispy potatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper and some of the Fresno slices and scallions. Add as many layers as you want. Press each layer down firmly with the back of a spatula or wooden spoon to get the air out from in between. This will make the dish crispier.
- Cook the sweet potato cake in the oven and brown for about 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy.
- Toss salad ingredients together and season with salt and pepper. Garnish potato cake with the salad.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Oz said this a good vegan dish to make as long as you don’t use the cheese. And the best part is it only cost $.83 a serving. Plus it will go great with Michael Symon’s turkey cutlets with sun dried-tomatoes and shitake mushrooms.