The Chew: Chef Curtis Stone & What’s For Dinner
Chef Curtis Stone was a guest on The Chew to make a Roasted Cauliflower Broccoli Pasta Bake. His plan was to hide vegetables in a macaroni and cheese-style meal.
Stone is also the author of a new cookbook, What’s For Dinner. The dish he shared on The Chew was also easy on the budget.
Each chapter of his book is arranged by days of the week, so you find something to make whether you are having a family dinner or need a quick weeknight meal. For more family-friendly recipe ideas, check out Curtis Stone On Dr Oz.
The Chew: Roasted Cauliflower Broccoli Pasta Bake
The roasted veggies from this recipe bring out flavor while adding needed nutrients to a meal that kids will still want to eat. (With this trend of hidden veggies and healthier recipes popular in cookbooks, when will restaurants follow suit?)
The Chew: Curtis Stone Cauliflower Broccoli Pasta Recipe Ingredients
- 2 lb Cauliflower Florets
- 8 cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 1/2 cups Penne
- 4 oz Pancetta (or bacon)
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/4 cup White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Multigrain Bread Crumbs
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Curtis Stone: The Chew Cauliflower Broccoli Pasta Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Toss cauliflower in olive oil and season using salt and pepper.
- Arrange on a prepared baking sheet.
- On a separate baking sheet, arrange broccoli and season using olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes, flipping vegetables halfway and rotating the baking sheets between oven racks.
- Remove and let rest.
- Boil salted water on high.
- Cook penne, stirring often, until tender. Drain pasta.
- In a heavy pot, heat olive oil on medium and cook pancetta about four minutes, until crisp.
- Cook onions and thyme, stirring, for a couple minutes, until onions are tender and just browned.
- Stir flour into onion mix.
- Add milk and cream.
- Raise heat to medium high and simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low, stirring and simmering until sauce thickens to desired taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in white cheddar cheese with salt and pepper.
- Fold veggies and pasta into cheese sauce.
- Spread in a prepared baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and a little olive oil in a small bowl.
- Top pasta dish with this mixture and bake 10 minutes, to brown crumbs.
- Let stand before serving.