The Chew Dish of the Day: Clinton Kelly & Carla Hall’s Snowball Surprise Recipe
Clinton Kelly and Carla Hall are making a one of a kind dessert they came up with the previous night. But not before doing a ridiculous dance for their new segment called “C and C’s Sweet Factory.” You can watch the dance in the video below.
After their dance they announced they were going to make a dessert they called Snowball Surprise. The recipe consists of four parts:
- A chocolate cake
- Pumpkin cake filling
- Rum cream cheese frosting
- Coconut or walnut flakes on the outside
The recipe for the snowball surprise dessert is below:
For the Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 12 tablespoons Butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
For the Whipped Cream Filling:
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
For the Icing:
- 32 ounces Cream Cheese (4 blocks softened)
- 4 sticks butter (softened)
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dark Rum
- 1 cup Sweetened Coconut (lightly toasted)
- 1 cup Chopped Walnuts (lightly toasted)
- Whip cream to soft peaks. Add sugar and spices, from the ingredient list above, and continue whipping to achieve medium peaks. Gently fold in pumpkin puree. Transfer to a pastry bag or ziptop bag fitted with a piping tip.If you do not have all those spices, you can simply use a pumpkin spice blend bought at the store. And you can always try different things to fill inside. Try a strawberry filling when it becomes nicer out or a peppermint filling around Christmas time.
- Whip together softened cream cheese, butter, powder sugar and rum until combined. Transfer to a pastry bag or ziptop bag fitted with a piping tip. Chill until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.
Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Continue mixing and add one egg at a time until incorporated. Mix in vanilla.
Alternate between the flour mixture and sour cream, mixing slowly to combine. The sour cream is going to keep the cupcake moist.
Evenly distribute batter among muffin tins using a scoop and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Cool in pan until cool enough to handle. Finish cool on a wire rack.
Using a paring knife or kitchen shears trim bottom of cupcake to round off.
Pierce a soft spot of the rounded cupcake with the pumpkin whipped cream filled pastry bag and squeeze to fill cupcake with a few tablespoons of mixture.
Cover filled cupcakes with icing by sticking a fork in the bottom and rotating, smoothing to achieve desired look.
- Roll in your choice of coconut or walnuts.Obviously the coconut and walnuts are not necessary. Myself, not being a large fan of coconut flakes on anything, I would probably leave those off. I would probably cover them in melted chocolate. Just dip them like fondue.
The Chew: Year Worth of Free Groceries
The Chew are going to be giving out a year’s worth of free groceries to the viewer who can goes on the website and puts the secret ingredient at the right spot on the website after each day it appears. After the contest is done, the viewers who have all the secret ingredients will be put in a random drawing where one person will win a years worth of free groceries.
Today’s secret ingredient is meringue.