The Chew: Chocolate Chip Hummus
On May 13 2013, viewers of The Chew came in to present their recipes to two of the show’s guest hosts, Daymond John and Barbara Corcoran. Up for judgement was Amanda Sura’s Chocolate Chip Hummus recipe, Wendy Bradley’s Tasty Trashy Taters recipe and Dustin Smallheer’s Short Rib French Toast recipe.
Amanda Sura’s Chocolate Chip Hummus Recipe
- 1 16-oz can Garbanzo Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup Peanut or Almond Butter
- 1/2 cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1-2 tablespoons Milk or Cream
- 3/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Dippers of your choice
The Chew: Chocolate Chip Hummus Directions
- In a food processor, add garbanzo beans and peanut butter and blend well.
- Add in oatmeal, salt, sugar, vanilla.
- Blend well.
- If it looks too thin add more oatmeal, if it looks too thick add some of the cream or milk.
Wendy Bradley’s Tasty Trashy Taters Recipe
- 1/2 bag Tater Tots (thawed to room temperature)
- 1 8-ounce package Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cut in 1/4-inch squares)
- Hot Sauce
- 1 16-ounce package Bacon (strips cut in half)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
The Chew: Tasty Trashy Taters Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- To assemble, cut a small hole in each tater tot and place cheese in opening.
- Dash with hot sauce and wrap in bacon.
- Cut each slice of bacon in half for the perfect size strip to wrap each tot.
- Secure with toothpick, then roll in brown sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining taters.
- Bake about 15 to 20 minutes, flipping tots halfway through so that bacon cooks evenly.
- The cheese may bubble out and burn, but you can trim or pull it off when you take them out to cool.
- Serve warm.
Dustin Smallheer’s Short Rib French Toast Recipe
- 1 pound Short Ribs
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Adobo Rub
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1/3 cup shredded Manchego Cheese
- 1 small loaf French Bread (cut into 4 2-inch slices)
- 1 1/2 cups Maple Syrup
- 6 dried Chipotle Peppers
- Chipotle Powder (to taste)
- 6 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
The Chew: Short Rib French Toast Directions
- Blend adobo rub and brown sugar together to make rub.
- Apply to short ribs and let sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take short ribs and put in roasting pan.
- Add beef broth to pan and cook in oven at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Let cool and then use your hand to pull apart the short ribs.
- Add manchego cheese to shredded beef. Set aside.
- Heat maple syrup with chipotle peppers to infuse.
- Heat to warm and then set aside, keeping the peppers in.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with chipotle powder.
- Take your French loaf and cut into 4 2-inch slices.
- Cut a pocket into the bread for your mixture.
- Take your mixture and stuff the bread until the mixture sticks out slightly over the bread.
- Take eggs, milk and cinnamon and make mixture for bread.
- Take your French toast, put in baking dish and pour egg mixture over the bread.
- Let sit for at least 1 hour so egg can soak all the way through.
- Once bread is soaked through, cook in a large non stick skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side.
- Make sure to flip on each side of the bread crust as well to cook the egg through.
- Serve French toast with chipotle syrup.
Can you guess which one won? Wendy Bradley’s Tasty Trashy Taters took home first place.