The Chew: Chocolate Chicken
Mario Batali made a fancy and upscale Chocolate Chicken recipe with rose petals for just $1.69 per serving. You can customize the recipe to your liking, but it was inspired by a romantic scene in the movie Like Water For Chocolate. Here is what you need to pull this one off.
Though this was the show’s Oscar edition of Extra Value Friday, this dish could make a great date night meal for you and a special someone in your life. I know we think of roses of romantic, but I never would have expected to see them served up in an entree as a garnish. What do you think of the idea?
Mario Batali Chocolate Chicken Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 Chicken Thighs (bone-in, with skin)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flake
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder (bitter)
- 1 chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1/3 cup Currants
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Rose (organic, petals plucked, julienned)
- 1/4 cup toasted Hazelnuts
- 3 Jalapenos, diced
- 1 block Dark Chocolate
The Chew: Chocolate Chicken With Rose Petals Directions
- In a saute-pan on medium high, head a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season chicken using salt and pepper. Sear thighs skin side down for about five minutes.
- Add onion, seasoning with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Four minutes later, add cocoa and chili flakes. Then toss with currants.
- Use wine to deglaze pan and reduce liquid by 1/2, for two or three minutes.
- Add chicken stock, simmer and cook uncovered, for approximately 35 minutes. Test tenderness of chicken using a fork.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice. Tweak seasoning as desired.
- Plate chicken on a serving platter, garnished with jalapeno, hazelnuts, and rose petals.
- Grate fresh chocolate over dish to finish before serving.
Based on what was seen on the show, this makes a romantic and enticing presentation. Is it something you would ever try? Leave your own suggestions for romantic dinners or movie-inspired meals in the comments below.