The Chew: “Suburgatory” Star Cheryl Hines
Actress Cheryl Hines joined in on the fun of The Chew’s Mardi Gras celebration. Cheryl is a big fan of New Orleans, where she once took a haunted house carriage ride with a bunch of girlfriends. She loves the eating and drinking involved in a visit to the Big Easy.
Cheryl previously starred as Larry David’s wife on Curb Your Enthusiasm, and now stars on the ABC series Suburgatory. Cheryl first fell in love with comedy at the Groundlings Theater in Los Angeles, where she would watch brilliant comedians like Maya Rudolph and Will Ferrell perform. Clinton is a big fan of Cheryl’s work, and couldn’t wait to hop into the kitchen and make Gulf Shrimp Fritters.
Clinton Kelly: Gulf Shrimp Fritters Recipe
You just can’t go wrong with deep frying anything, and Clinton Kelly’s Gulf Shrimp Fritters are no exception. They came out perfectly golden brown, crispy, and looking absolutely delicious. I think they’d be the perfect appetizer to serve at a Mardi Gras party, but the only problem is you may not want to share them.
Ingredients for Remoulade
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Grain Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Prepared Horseradish
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped Capers
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 2 finely minced Garlic cloves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped Chives
Ingredients for Fritters
- Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
- Olive Oil
- 1 finely diced Onion (finely diced)
- 3 minced Garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 pounds Shrimp (peeled; deveined; cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Seafood Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Lemon (cut into wedges)
Directions for Gulf Shrimp Fritters Recipe
- To make Remoulade, stir all ingredients together except the chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let the flavors meld in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
- To make fritters, bring a large pot of vegetable oil to 360 degrees. Oil should be filled 2/3rds of the way to the top. Meanwhile, place a medium-sized saute pan over medium-high heat and add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook onion 4-5 minutes and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the garlic, stirring to coat. Add shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes until they just begin to turn pink. Remove the pan from from the heat and pour mixture into a large bowl to cool.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, seafood seasoning and cayenne pepper, whisking together to combine. Add the flour in three additions, stirring each time, until the batter is smooth. Add the shrimp mixture once cooled.
- Drop the batter into hot oil in heaping tablespoons, working in batches to fry fritters evenly. Fry 2-3 minutes per batch until brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate, then sprinkle with salt and lemon juice. Serve with Remoulade and chives.
Clinton Kelly: Soda Stinger Inferno Recipe
Of course, delicious fritters need something equally delicious to wash them down with. Try Clinton’s Soda Stinger Inferno Recipe, which the hosts and Cheryl downed like pros in order to really get the party started!
Clinton Kelly Soda Inferno Ingredients
- 1/2 Beer
- 1 ounce High Proof Liquor (such as Bacardi 151)
- 3/4 shot glass with Almond Flavored Liquer
The Chew Soda Stinger Directions
- Fill a pint glass half-way with the beer. In a shot glass, add the almond liquer, then layer with the high-proof alcohol on top.
- Set the shot glass on fire and then drop into the glass of beer. Drink immediately.