The Chew: Katherine Heigl
Helping out with The Chew’s Dish of the Day was Emmy Award winner and pet advocate Katherine Heigl. Check out her Just One review and get the Cavatelli and Sausage Pie recipe from this episode.
The Chew: Just One Review
Katherine’s charity work is designed to raise awareness about pet abuse and animal cruelty in America. She started a foundation in her brother’s memory, called the Jason Heigl Foundation. They are selling a line of apparel products, and a portion of the proceeds support the charity’s work in saving the lives of pets.
Her idea is that it only takes one person to make a difference for one pet, but all those ones add up to make a statement. You can find the products at Target or on the Jason Heigl Foundation website.
The Chew: Cavatelli and Sausage Pie Recipe
For The Chew’s Life of Pie episode, Mario Batali made a Cavatelli and Sausage Pie Recipe. Here’s how it all works.
Mario Batali Cavatelli and Sausage Pie Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- 2 lb Hot Italian Sausage (no casing)
- 1 chopped Carrot
- 4 stalks chopped Celery
- 2 chopped Onions
- 5 sliced cloves Garlic
- 16 oz Whole Peeled Tomatoes (drained)
- 2 cups Red Wine
- 1 lb Cavatelli Pasta
- Parmesan Cheese
- Pasta Sauce
- Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Cavatelli and Sausage Pie Directions
- In a large pot seasoned with olive oil, cook sausage until golden, around seven minutes. Remove and reserve.
- In the pot, combine vegetable ingredients, seasoning as desired. Cook approximately five minutes.
- Throw in garlic and thyme with nutmeg, cooking under a minute.
- Add wine to deglaze the pot. Cook for up to three minutes.
- Add tomatoes, along with additional seasonings if desired.
- Cook five minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Boil a pot of water on high and add salt. Cook pasta for a minute less than indicated on your package.
- Toss noodles in cooked vegetable mixture and pour into a casserole dish.
- Add parmesan cheese with your favorite pasta sauce and pour as a layer atop the casserole.
- Cover casserole with puff pastry. Combine egg with heavy cream, brushing it over the top of the pastry.
- Cook 15-20 minutes, until pastry puffs and achieves a golden color.
- Let stand before serving.