The Chew: Carla Hall’s Strawberry Napoleon & Vanilla Pastry Cream
To stick with the double-decker theme on The Chew, Carla showed us how to make her strawberry napoleon recipe and a vanilla pastry cream to go along with it.
The Chew: Strawberry Napoleon Recipe Ingredients
- 1 package Store Bought Puff Pastry (two sheets)
- melted Butter
- 2 cups Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 1 pound Strawberries (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Water
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- melted Chocolate
The Chew: Strawberry Napoleon Directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place pastry dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 24 rectangles.
- Transfer to 2 baking sheets and brush with melted butter and gently sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until golden brown and flakey, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk powdered sugar to remove lumps.
- Add water and lemon juice and stir to create a smooth icing.
- Working individually, spread a thin layer of icing on the top of 6 pieces.
- Drizzle thin, horizontal lines of chocolate over the icing widthwise.
- Drag a toothpick across perpendicular to the chocolate in alternating directions.
- Place strawberries and sugar in a medium pot with a pinch of salt and smash with a potato masher or wooden spoon.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes to dissolve sugar and reduce liquid by half.
- To assemble, place a piece of puff pastry on a plate and top with a layer of pastry cream.
- Add another layer of puff pastry and top with a thin layer of strawberry preserve.
- Add a third layer of puff pastry and top with pastry cream.
- Add the decorated layer of puff pastry to the top.
- Create a collar out of foil to hold Napoleon shape.
- Place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
Carla Hall Vanilla Pastry Cream Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 Egg Yolks (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cubed)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
The Chew: Vanilla Pastry Cream Directions
- Heat the milk and cream in a sauce pot over medium-low, until steaming.
- Whisk in the sugar, cornstarch and salt and return to a boil.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and temper 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture into the eggs.
- Gradually pour this back into the pot and continue to whisk as the mixture returns to a boil.
- Continue to cook until thick about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl with pats of butter in the bottom.
- Stir until butter melts.
- Add extract and stir to incorporate.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic onto top of cream to prevent a skin from forming.
- Place in refrigerator until chilled.