The Chew: Carla Hall’s Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies Recipe
If you both want to give your guests even more food and send them home with party favors from your wedding, Carla Hall has you covered. On The Chew May 21 2013, she showed us her lemon cardamom wedding cookies recipe, which can double as party favors for the guests at your wedding.
The Chew: Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pound Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 2 teaspoons Orange Zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Pistachios (ground) or 1 cup Walnuts (ground)
- 4 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground Cardamom
For The Lemon Sugar
- 3 Lemons (zested)
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
The Chew: Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, lemon juice, zests and salt and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground nuts and cardamom until combined.
- Add the flour into the butter mixture in 3 additions, making sure not to over mix the dough.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, portion out dough and roll into balls.
- The size of your cookie depends on the cupcake liner that you will present them in.
- Place the cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes trying to avoid brown spots but making sure the top is just firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, place the lemon sugar in rimmed baking dish or pie plate.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- The cookie should still be warm when rolling in the lemon sugar.
- Roll the cookies to coat completely in the flavored sugar and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Reserve the remaining lemon sugar.
- When ready to serve or package roll them again in the lemon sugar to heavily coat.
- These cookies can be baked up to one month in advance and stored in the freezer in an air tight container.
- Before serving dredge in the lemon sugar to coat.
For The Lemon Sugar
- Prepare a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Spread the lemon zest onto the prepared baking sheet trying to avoid clumps.
- Place the baking sheet in a cold oven and allow to sit overnight.
- The zest should be dry before combining with the sugar.
- Pulse zest and sugar together in a food processor until evenly distributed.
- Set aside until ready to roll the cookies.
- If making the cookies far in advance roll them in a plain powdered sugar and prepare the lemon sugar for the final coating.