The Chew: Glorified Grits Recipe
Southern chef Carla Hall knows a thing or two about doing grits the right way. This time, she turned them into more of a breakfast casserole or souffle with her Glorified Grits. Here is how it works. Plus, get a Breakfast Boosting Tea from Daphne Oz
The Chew: Carla Hall Glorified Grits Ingredients
- 2 cups Grits (stone ground)
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 lb Spicy Sausage
- 1 1/2 cups Sharp Cheddar
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 4 Eggs, separated
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew Glorified Grits Casserole Directions
- Preheat your oven to 425. Prepare a casserole or souffle dish.
- On medium high in a heavy pot, combine chicken stock with milk and salt.
- Add grits and bring to a boil, while whisking constantly.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until creamy, 18-22 minutes.
- While grits cook, heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium-high.
- Cook sausage until crumbly.
- Add garlic and herbs as sausage finishes cooking.
- Remove grits from heat when creamy.
- Fold in sausage, cheese, and butter.
- Add egg yolks.
- Separately, beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the mix.
- Pour into your prepared dish and bake for up to 30 minutes, until top is light brown.
- Serve immediately after cooking.
The Chew: Daphne Oz Breakfast Boosting Tea Recipe
What do you drink at breakfast? If you are interested in swapping out your coffee for tea instead, try this recipe by Daphne Oz on The Chew.
The Chew: Breakfast Boosting Tea Ingredients
- 1 bag Green Tea
- 6 oz Hot Water
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp Ginger
- 1 tbsp Honey
The Chew: Daphne Oz Breakfast Tea Directions
- Steep your tea bag in hot water for about two minutes.
- Use grated ginger in a cheesecloth and squeeze liquid out.
- Stir in honey and orange juice.
- Remove tea bag and drink immediately.