The Chew: Foolproof Thanksgiving Desserts
The Chew’s dessert diva, Carla Hall, took over The Chew Cooking Class with her Sweet Potato Tarte Tatin Recipe. They had a lot to learn about her catchphrase, “hootie-hoo." The good news was that this dessert recipe could not be much easier.
Get many more delicious Thanksgiving recipe ideas for appetizers, turkey and desserts from our Thanksgiving Pinterest board. As for this dish, Tarte Tatin is just a fancy way to say “upside down pie."
The Chew: Carla Hall Sweet Potato Tarte Tatin Recipe Ingredients
In this case, the butter stops the cooking process of the sugar once it achieves its desired color. Don’t use a utensil to handle the sugar, or otherwise it might crystallize. Wait until you add the butter and cooking stops before you stir with a utensil.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (substitute Apples, Pears, or even Potatoes)
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Mascarpone
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 piece Puff Pastry
- 1/2 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
Carla Hall: The Chew Sweet Potato Tarte Tatin Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in the microwave for six minutes (you don’t have to prick them for this). Let cool before removing them.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Slice into 1/4" pieces.
- Heat a skillet on medium.
- Sprinkle sugar in the bottom of the pan, cooking about a minute.
- Swirl the pan to cook the raw sugar evenly.
- As it turns a caramel or amber color after three minutes or so, add butter.
- Stir in salt and cinnamon.
- Take off heat and add sweet potato slices in batches.
- With an offset spatula, press a portion of the sweet potato slices to the side of the pan in a tight shingle.
- Repeat this to create concentric circles in the pan.
- Place your puff pastry on top of the pan and tuck it under the edges.
- Bake the skillet for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine confectioner’s sugar with mascarpone.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Flip the cooled finished product onto a plate or serving platter and remove the pan.
- Serve with mascarpone.