The Chew: Dixieland Dishes
The Chew team shared some Souther delights and Dixieland Dishes in their Atlanta-themed episode. From Country Captain Chicken and Fried Green Tomatoes to Sweet Potato Souffle and Southern BBQ Shrimp, the show featured mouthwatering Southern cuisine. For dessert, The Chew invited surprised superfan Athena Parker from Atlanta to help make a Carla Hall Cast Iron Peach Pie Recipe.
The Chew: Atlanta Superfan Athena Parker
“I actually live on Peachtree Road,” Athena said as they got their pie recipe going. She also admitted that sometimes she substitutes canned peaches instead of fresh, to save time. Carla asked about Athena’s romantic life, noting that women outnumber men seven to one in Atlanta.
Athena is a server at Uptown Comedy Corner, which she called Atlanta’s #1 comedy club. But she has no aspirations of getting onstage, despite enjoying her job. Her career goal is to be a personal assistant for a celebrity, which she’s done in the past.
As a girl, Athena said she learned to cook from her grandmother, and she enjoys doing it in her spare time. She once thought of pursuing it professionally, but was afraid it would take up too much of her life.
Carla Hall surprised Athena with a skillet, cooking supplies, and professional culinary classes back at her home in Atlanta.
The Chew: Peach Pie Recipe
As for the recipe, Carla said she likes to cook down her peaches before beginning the rest of her pie, because it helps you tell whether your peaches are watery. That way, you can adjust your ingredients so the pie doesn’t end up soupy.
“One of my pet peeves is a soggy crust,” Carla Hall said. She put Athena to work creating a lattice.
The Chew: Carla Hall Cast Iron Peach Pie Recipe
Carla’s pie makes 12 servings, and the ingredients add up to less than $1 per slice.
Ingredients – Pie Crust
- ⅓ cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 sticks Butter, cubed
Directions – Pie Crust
- Combine first three ingredients. Stir and refrigerate at least 15 minutes.
- Mix flour and butter in mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium to break up butter.
- Add water mixture, combining into a dough.
- Separate dough into two cylinders. Wrap and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Roll one cylinder to the size of your cast iron skillet. (The other cylinder will make a lattice later on.)
- Poke dough using a fork. Bake on 375 for about 12 minutes. Let cool.
Ingredients – Peach Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoons Butter, cubed
- 4 cups Peaches
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch or Flour
- ½ cup Sugar (or more, to taste)
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Amaretto (or Almond Extract)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a skillet, combine Sugar, Brown Sugar, Nutmeg, Cornstarch, Cinnamon, Water, Amaretto, and Butter over medium heat.
- Allow liquid to reduce to the consistency of syrup.
- Pour filling into prepared pie crust.
- Cut remaining crust cylinder into ½” strips to create a top lattice crust layer.
- Lay strips of dough in a crisscross pattern over the Peaches to create a lattice crust.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until ingredients bubble.