The Chew: Valentine’s Day Chocolate Special
With Valentine’s Day just a week away, The Chew dedicated an entire show to chocolate. But first, a congratulations was in order for Michael Symon, who was recently voted America’s Favorite Chef by Kitchen Daily! “You’re making my head blush!” he said of his new title.
Many Chew viewers are getting into the Valentine’s Day spirit early, and have been whipping up delicious treats. Wendy G. made mini heart chocolate cakes with fondant, while Kelly O. made a chocolate cupcake with a broccoli floret made of frosting! Does that count as a vegetable serving?
The Chew: Calorie Counts On Chain Restaurant Menus
The New York Times business section has reported that chain restaurants will soon have calorie counts on their menus. What do The Chew hosts think of this? Health conscious Daphne Oz thinks it’s a great idea, because a lot of times foods can be deceiving; at certain chains, the salads can have the highest calories on the menu. This way, customers will make better choices.
The Chew: Carla & Clinton’s Triple Chocolate Whoopie Pie Cake Recipe
But enough about calories! Clinton showed off a few chocolate-themed treats, like a chocolate chess set and chocolate-flavored glue. Then, he and Carla headed into the kitchen for their signature “C&C Food Factory” segment. The decadent dessert of the day was a triple chocolate whoopie pie cake.
C&C Food Factory features a very special dance, and one young Chew viewer sent in her own rendition. Clinton and Carla dedicated today’s dance to 13-year-old Meklit from Los Angeles, California.
Ingredients For The Chew’s Whoopie Pie Cake:
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 sticks room temperature Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 large room temperature Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cup melted Dark Chocolate
Ingredients For White Chocolate Filling:
- 2 sticks of softened Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups softened Cream Cheese
- 1 cup melted White Chocolate
Ingredients For Dark Chocolate Filling:
- 1 stick of softened Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup softened Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup melted Dark Chocolate
Clinton Kelly & Carla Hall Triple Chocolate Whoopie Pie Directions:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and arrange oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Whisk together flours, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer at high speed about four minutes, until fluffy. Add egg and milk and beat at medium speed until well mixed. Switch to low speed and add the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk, mixing until bleded. Put the batter into piping bags.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Trace the base of an 8-inch cake pan four times on the parchment paper to make a template for the cake batter.
- Flip the papers over, place them on sheet trays, and begin piping in the edge of the circle and spiral your way into the center. Fill all four circles to create layers, smoothing the cake batter with a spatula. Bake for 7-8 minutes until springy to the touch. Let cool on the sheets for five minutes, then let cool completely on a rack.
- To make white chocolate filling, beat the butter, salt, and powdered sugar at low speed until blended. Then beat at high speed until fluffy, about five minutes. Add vanilla and cream cheese, mixing at low speed about one minute. Slowly mix in cooled, melted chocolate and place the filling into a piping bag.
- To make dark chocolate filling beat the butter, salt, and powdered sugar at low speed until blended and then high speed until fluffy, about five minutes. Add the vanilla and cream cheese, mixing at low speed about one minute. Slowly mix in cooled, melted chocolate and place the filling into a piping bag.
- Working with one circle, pipe an even layer of white chocolate filling onto the base layer, smoothing with a spatula. Add a cake layer on top and pipe an even layer of dark chocolate filling. Repeat with another layer of cake and white chocolate filling, then sprinkle with chocolate chips. Top with one final layer of cake, then pour melted chocolate over the top and serve.