The Chew: Jennifer Nettles Motherhood
Sugarland superstar is doing her own thing with the solo album That Girl, and she joined The Chew’s Daphne Oz to make a Broccoli & Cheddar Soup Recipe that works on its own or as macaroni and cheese.
Nettles confessed to sneaking goodies into the movies for herself, such as wine. She is the mom of a one-year-old. She promised Daphne Oz that you can function on less sleep than you think, and that babies are surprisingly resilient.
Her new solo effort, That Girl, has let her spread her wings and make more intimate music, but on the flip side, she feels like it makes her more vulnerable as an artist. How do you think it compares to her work with Sugarland?
Daphne Oz: The Chew Broccoli & Cheddar Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 1 chopped head Broccoli
- 1 diced Yellow Onion
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- Chili Flakes
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 lb diced Bacon
- 2 cloves chopped Garlic
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 lb shredded White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 lb Whole Wheat Fusilli
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Daphne Oz Broccoli & Cheddar Soup Recipe Directions
- Boil a pot of heavily salted water.
- Cook broccoli for two minutes.
- Strain and transfer to an ice bath for one minute.
- Drain broccoli and reserve.
- Cook bacon in a dutch oven on low for 10 minutes to crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onions and season to taste, cooking on medium until softened.
- Add garlic until fragrant and then whisk in flour.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Whisk in stock and simmer five minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and add chili flake.
- Mix in 2/3 of the blanched broccoli.
- Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add milk and take off heat.
- Stir in 2/3 of the cheese to melt.
- Add remaining broccoli and garnish with bacon.
Macaroni & Cheese Directions
- Cook pasta in the same pot, one minute less than package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine panko with bacon, parmesan and chili flakes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Place five cups of the soup mixture back over the heat.
- Add remaining cheese, stirring to melt.
- Place cooked noodles in a prepared baking dish and pour cheese over the top.
- Sprinkle panko over everything and bake 30 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving.