The Chew: Mario Batali Bread Dumpling Soup Recipe
If you need to save some green, you can always take leftovers, like stale bread, and reinvent them for something delicious, like this Bread Dumpling Soup Recipe.
The Chew: Meatballs of the Wolf
This dish is based on Batali’s Italian concept that translates to “meatballs of the wolf.” It’s called that because you can never catch a wolf, so this is a meal using leftover ingredients.
The Chew Bread Dumpling Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 6 cups Bread Cubes (about 1/2”)
- 6 Eggs (4 separated)
- 2 cups Milk
- 4 oz Mortadella (or leftover meat)
- 2 cups Bread Crumbs
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 2/3 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 cup Asparagus
- 1/2 cup Carrots
- 1/2 cup Celery
- 1/3 cup Mint
- 1/3 cup Parsley
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1/2 cup Scallions
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Mario Batali Bread Dumpling Soup Recipe Directions
- Cover bread in milk in a large bowl and let sit about 10 minutes.
- Beat four egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Squeeze excess milk from bread and move bread to bowl of yolks.
- Mix in Parmesan, nutmeg, mortadella, and two whole eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper. Roll into 1” balls.
- Beat egg whites in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each bread ball in egg whites, then bread crumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet to medium high.
- Cook dredged balls until golden. Rest on a plate after cooking.
- Heat stock in a pot to simmer.
- Add veggies and cook until tender, around seven minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Just before serving, add asparagus.
- Divide dumplings, adding parsley and mint to each serving.
- Pour broth and veggies over dumplings.
- Garnish with extra parmesan.
The Chew: Clinton’s Food Frenzy Meal Prices
Could you guess the prices of popular restaurant foods, if you made them for yourself at home? Here are the answers from Clinton’s Food Frenzy.
- $3.25 – Sausage Omelet
- $0.56 – Belgian Waffle
- $1.99 – Huevos Rancheros
What about lunchtime classics?
- $2.34 – Cobb Salad
- $1.30 – BLT Sandwich
- $3.43 – Gyro
Last up, Clinton made people guess average dinner prices for popular entrees. Where do they come up with these numbers?
- $3.84 – Skirt Steak Tacos
- $2.53 – Angel Hair Pasta with Lobster
- $1.84 – Chicken Pot Pie