The Chew: Blood Orange and Pomegranate Parfait Recipe
If you are looking for the perfect dessert that everyone can share without making a mess, think about making this parfait. The fruits can be substituted as the seasons change, and it all starts with a pie crust. Here is how to make The Chew’s Blood Orange and Pomegranate Parfait Recipe.
The Chew: Graham Cracker Pie Crust Recipe
Combine four cups of chocolate graham crackers with two sticks of soft butter and a pinch of salt. Normally you would bake this at 350 F for about five minutes to form a pie crust, but you will need it for something else in this parfait dessert. Bake it, crumble it, and set it aside.
The Chew: Blood Orange and Pomegranate Parfait Ingredients
- 1 cup Sugar (granulated)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Blood Orange Juice (strained)
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 6 Egg Yolks, beaten (reserve yolks)
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- 1 stick Butter
- 1 cup Superfine Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 5 Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 2 tsp Lime Zest
- 1 cup Pomegranate Seeds
The Chew: Blood Orange and Pomegranate Parfait Directions
- Mix granulated sugar with corn starch in a saucepan. Mix with water, orange juice, and lemon juice.
- Boil, cook and stir for one minute, until thick. Remove.
- Whisk juice mixture into egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return mix to saucepan.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir and bring to a boil, cooking for one minute.
- Remove from heat, adding orange zest, salt, and butter.
- Let mixture cool in a separate bowl. Do not stir. Chill one hour.
- Transfer cooled mixture into a plastic icing bag.
- To make the meringue, mix superfine sugar with lime juice and water.
- Cover to create condensation. Swirl pot to dissolve sugar.
- Increase heat to 235-240 F, measuring with a candy thermometer.
- Beat egg whites on low, using a mixer, until foamy.
- Add tartar sauce, blending on medium to form peaks.
- Add hot sugar syrup slowly to egg whites.
- Beat until stiff. Add lime zest. Transfer to icing bag.
- Serve by layering crumbled pie crust in wine glasses.
- Add a layer of filling, pomegranate seeds, and meringue.
- Continue to layer until glass is full. Top with crust crumbles or extra seeds.