The Chew: Billy Ray Cyrus Change My Mind
Billy Ray Cyrus came out to help Carla Hall cook up her hot fried turkey recipe.
He chatted with The Chew for a minute before starting on the recipe saying a lot has changed since he came out with “Achy Breaky Heart.” He said the song came out in 1992, just one year prior he said he was living in his car without a home to go to. A lot has changed in his life, like going to work on Broadway in the musical Chicago, but a lot is still the same. He still writes about how he lives and he is still recording albums, like the one he just released Change My Mind.
The Chew: Carla Hall’s Hot Fried Turkey Recipe
But he was excited to make some fried turkey, being from Kentucky he knew his fried dishes. Get the recipe for the hot fried chicken below.
- 2 quarts Water
- 1/2 cup Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Turkey Breast (both sides; cut into 8 pieces)
For the Spiced Oil:
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil (plus more for frying)
- 2 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Whisk water, hot sauce, salt and sugar in a bowl until salt and sugar dissolve. Add turkey and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a large Dutch oven heat oil to 325 degrees.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Add cayenne, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, garlic powder and sugar. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl.
Again, if you want it less spicy add less spices here. Or try add different spices to change the flavor a little bit.
Pour brine off turkey and pat dry. Arrange on a wire rack in a single layer.
- In a medium bowl, combine dredging ingredients. Put flour mixture in mesh strainer and dust turkey lightly on both sides. Transfer turkey to a rimmed plate and allow to air dry in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Remove turkey from the refrigerator and return to the wire rack. Dust heavily with flour and then press to help cake on the flour for extra crispiness. The more you put on, the crispy it will be.
- Fry turkey in preheated oil until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a clean wire rack.
Make sure the turkey is dry before putting it in the oil. And do not put a frozen turkey in the oil. It will explode and it will be bad news for everyone in the kitchen.
- Before serving heat oil to 375 and fry turkey just until golden, about 5-6 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Serve with a drizzle of spiced oil.
The Chew: Billy Ray Cyrus Wedding Dance
Cyrus made sure to thank The Chew for inviting him on and said it was kind of like his Thanksgiving. He said he was thankful Obama was the president still and he was thankful to be lucky enough to be working in New York City.
He also told The Chew he is so busy he hasn’t had time to think about his daughter’s wedding. But he told a story about watching a football game recently and after the game ended the coach, who was recently diagnosed with Leukemia, said he only has two things he wants to do in his life: win a Super Bowl and dance at his daughters wedding.
Cyrus said he texted his daughter right away and told her he couldn’t wait to dance at her wedding. And he got two smiley face texts back.