The Chew: Irish Beef Stout Stew
Michael Symon prepared his own St. Patrick’s Day creation, a Beef Stout Stew recipe, for Extra Value Friday.
Since St. Patrick’s Day weather can be chilly, a hearty and warm meal such as a stew can be a great way to end the day’s celebrations.
For this recipe, don’t worry so much about getting crispy bacon. You want the flavor to come out in the dish, almost like a braised bacon, according to Symon.
Michael Symon Beef Stout Stew Ingredients
- 2 lb Chuck Roast, cubed
- 1/2 lb Bacon
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 2 stalks Celery, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, diced
- 8 oz Mushrooms
- 12 oz Stout Beer
- 3 cups Beef Stock
- Rosemary & Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
The Chew: Beef Stout Stew Recipe Directions
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot on medium.
- Season your chuck as desired.
- Dredge in flour and brown in your pot.
- After about 10 minutes, meat should be browned.
- Add in bacon and stir.
- Mix in vegetables, along with salt and pepper.
- Add stout to pot to deglaze. Bring to a boil.
- Add in stock.
- Tie herbs with twine and add to pot.
- Reduce heat to simmering.
- Cover and cook about 90 minutes to two hours.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Remove herbs and discard.
- Garnish with sour cream, parsley, and cheese before serving.
The Chew: Irish Or Not Irish Quiz Game
Here is a quick quiz you can try on your friends for St. Patrick’s Day. Can you guess whether the following stars have some Irish heritage?
- Justin Bieber – not Irish
- Kim Kardashian – not Irish
- John Stamos – Irish
- Christina Aguilera – Irish
- Mario Batali – not Irish
- Alicia Keys – Irish
- Barack Obama – Irish
- Ben Stiller – Irish
- Bobby Flay – Irish
- Matt Damon – not Irish
- Halle Berry – Irish
- 50 Cent – not Irish