The Chew: Make Your Own Guacamole Bar
For The Chew’s Tex-Mex Takeover, Daphne Oz showed how you can spice up your next fiesta with a Guacamole Bar featuring three varieties of one of nature’s most perfect dips. Try her Pineapple Jicama Guacamole or make yours with Pea, Pistachio, and Radish.
As a first tip, Daphne suggested investing in a Molcajete, which is a great idea if you love to make guacamole or salsa at home. It’s a volcanic rock bowl that makes for a distinguished presentation when you serve one of these favorite dips.
If you want to avoid big chunks in your guacamole, Daphne said that crushing the ingredients with a pestle can grind everything down and keep the chunky surprises to a minimum.
The Chew: Daphne Oz Guacamole Recipe Ingredients
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/2 cup minced Jalapeno
- 2 cubed Avocados
- 1/4 cup minced White Onion
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Cilantro or Parsley
Grilled Pineapple & Jicama Guacamole Ingredients
Add texture, crunch, and a hint of sweetness.
- 2 1/2” thick slices Pineapple
- 1/4 cup diced Jicama
- 1/4 cup toasted Pepitas
- Olive Oil
Pea, Pistachio & Radish Guacamole Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 1 bunch halved Radishes
- 1/4 cup toasted Pistachios
Daphne Oz: The Chew Guacamole Recipe Directions
- To make the base, use a mortar and pestle or potato masher to mix together the onion, garlic, jalapeno and salt.
- Next, mix in lime juice with avocado, mashing however you like it.
- Serve fresh with your choice of dippers.
- Garnish with cilantro and/or parsley.
- To make one of the varieties, follow the next steps below.
Pineapple & Jicama Guacamole Directions
- Brush pineapple with oil.
- Grill three to four minutes per side on a grill pan over medium heat, until charred and caramelized.
- Let cool before dicing.
- Mix jicama and pineapple into the guacamole.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Garnish with pepitas and serve.
Pea, Pistachio & Radish Guacamole Directions
- Use one less avocado to make the guacamole recipe, substituting pea instead.
- Mash the peas first, then add a single avocado, and work to your preferred texture.
- Add pistachios and lime juice; salt and pepper.
- Serve with radish halves.