The Chew: Burger Bash
More than 6,000 contestants compete in the annual South Beach Burger Bash. For three years running, Michael Symon has won the People’s Choice award in the contest. He returned in 2013 to try to collect his fourth consecutive award. This time, he made the French Onion Burger Recipe featured on the show.
The Chew: Michael Symon French Onion Burger Recipe
Here is how to make Michael’s latest approach to the best burger, his French Onion Burger. Though Symon came in second place this year, he can still feel like a fierce competitor, and you can taste his award-winning burger for yourself.
French Onion Burger Ingredients
Michael said he uses equal parts chuck, brisket, and short rib. He recommended not packing your patties too tightly.
- 2 lb Ground Beef (75% lean)
- 1 1/2 cups Onions, caramelized
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 12 pieces Bacon
- 1 cup Corn Starch
- 1 cup Flour
- 6 Potato Rolls
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Bechamel Sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh Horseradish
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon French Onion Burger Directions
- Heat a griddle on medium-high. Heat oil in a large pot to 370 F.
- Heat a saute pan on medium-high and cook bacon about five minutes, until crispy. Let it drain on a paper towel or plate.
- Create patties that are around 6 ounces each, just a little larger than the bun’s diameter.
- Form a thumb mark in each patty and season both sides with salt, on the outside only.
- Heat on the griddle for three to four minutes, until charred.
- Then flip the patty and cook two to three minutes, until desired temperature is achieved.
- Toast buns on low heat.
- Mix flour, corn starch, and salt in a bowl with sliced onions.
- Coat onion slices evenly. Strain and shake off extra flour.
- Submerge in hot oil and cook a few minutes, until golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pot.
- Strain onions and let sit on a paper towel. Season with salt.
- Smear your bun with your favorite condiment or sauce.
- Add caramelized onions, bacon, and cooked burger.
- Finish with the fondue sauce, fried onion, and bun.
- To make the fondue, combine bechamel with horseradish, cheese, and salt and pepper.
What do you think is the secret to an unbeatable burger?