The Chew: Million Dollar Dessert
You can make an easy dessert on the cheap but have it look like it’s from a professional bakery. Daphne Oz got to team with Carla Hall to whip up this Chocolate French Macarons Recipe. Plus, Mario shared a rich pasta sauce recipe from the late Marcella Hazan.
It doesn’t get much simpler than making this quick cookie dish. Just be sure to grind the almonds first before pulsing them with some of the other ingredients.
The Chew: Carla Hall Chocolate French Macarons Recipe Ingredients
- 3/4 cup ground Blanched Almonds
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 Egg Whites
- 2 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
Pumpkin Ganache Ingredients
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 9 oz Dark Chocolate Chips
- 3 tbsp Butter
Carla Hall: The Chew Chocolate French Macarons Recipe Directions
- Combine confectioner’s sugar with almonds, cocoa powder and salt. Pulse to a fine grind in a food processor.
- Combine egg whites with sugar in a stand mixer, forming glossy, stiff peaks. Do not over mix.
- Fold dry mix into egg whites to combine.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a straight medium tip.
- Pipe into 1” circles on a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper.
- Rap baking sheets against the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Rotate sheets and rap them again.
- Use a wet fingertip to tap down peaks.
- Rest cookies until the surface is dry, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 11 minutes each. Rotate the sheet halfway through baking.
- Let cool slightly.
- Pair macarons by size.
- Spread one to two teaspoons of ganache on one cookie and sandwich it with its mate.
- Repeat until all the cookies are sandwiched.
- To make the ganache, combine chocolate with cream in a double boiler.
- Stir in butter and pumpkin and combine well.
The Chew: Marcella Hazan Tomato Sauce Recipe Ingredients
At the end of the show, Mario Batali shared a recipe from his recently deceased friend and chef, Marcella Hazan. It’s delicious and costs less than 13 cents per serving. “Her cooking is what changed the world,” Batali said. These simple ingredients come together for an unforgettable rich taste.
- 28 oz canned whole San Marzano Tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 peeled, halved Onion
- 5 tbsp Butter
Marcella Hazan: The Chew Tomato Sauce Recipe Directions
- Combine tomatoes and juices with onion, salt, and butter.
- Heat on medium and simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Stir occasionally, and mash large tomato pieces with a spoon.
- Salt to taste.
- Remove and discard onion before tossing pasta with sauce.