The Chew: Valerie Harper Lung Cancer Awareness
The incredible Valerie Harper came by The Chew to make a great Applesauce Cake recipe with Clinton, which he made using some of her Pink Applesauce recipe. Valerie Harper was on the show to raise awareness for Lung Cancer, since November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. She said she never smoked, but she still got lunch cancer. She warned that if you have lungs, you’re at risk for lung cancer, so be vigilant about your health!
Anyway, I’ve done my best to reproduce both Valerie’s Pink Apple Sauce recipe and Clinton’s Applesauce Cake recipe below. Check it out!
The Chew: Valerie Harper Pink Applesauce Recipe
- 2 pounds Macintosh Apples (cored and halved; the redder the better!)
- Cover apples in a sauce pot with half an inch of water. Bring to boil and cook until the skins fall off.
- Drain and let cool for about 10 minutes, reserving the water. Valerie Harper warned if you rush it, you’ll burn your fingers.
- Remove skin. Add the apples and the water back to the pot and crush the apples up in it.
- Serve and enjoy! You can eat the apple sauce cold or hot or incorporate it into Clinton Kelly’s Apple Sauce Cake recipe.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Pink Applesauce Cake Recipe Ingredients
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar (plus more for topping cake)
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 cup Applesauce (natural, unsweetened preferred)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
For the Apple Cider Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch salt
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Applesauce Cake Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together the baking powder, baking soda, flour, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Then combine with the dry ingredients until the batter becomes thick and is combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured a 9 inch spring form pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the center sets. The top should be a nice golden color.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before lifting out of the spring form pan.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the apple cider glaze ingredients until combined.
- Serve each slice of the applesauce cake with the apple cider glaze on top.