The Chew How’d They Make That: Homemade Twix Candy Bar Recipe
No matter what your age, you probably remember growing up with one Twix commercial or another. The Chew pointed out that the debut of Twix predates Daphne Oz by three years, coming on the scene in 1983. Check out Michael’s Chocolate Caramel Crunch Bars Recipe, in the style of Twix, from the latest installment of How’d They Make That?
Michael said using basic butter crackers will keep things simple and make this easy to recreate at home. Pulverize your graham crackers to create the perfect consistency.
Like this idea? Check out more great homemade imitations:
Michael Symon Twix Recipe: The Chew Chocolate Caramel Crunch Bars Recipe Ingredients
- 90 thin, buttery Crackers
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
The Chew Twix Recipe: Michael Symon Chocolate Caramel Crunch Bars Recipe Directions
- Prepare a 9” x 13” baking pan with cooking spray and line it with sprayed wax paper.
- Layer about 30 crackers on the bottom in a single flat layer.
- Stir butter, milk, sugar and brown sugar in a sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil. Whisk as needed.
- Stir in graham crackers.
- Boil another five minutes on medium heat, whisking when necessary.
- Once mixture is darkened, take off heat and pour half of it over the crackers.
- Use a spatula to spread it into an even layer.
- Spread another even layer of crackers on top.
- Then pour the remaining filling mixture over the crackers, spreading evenly once again.
- Last, top with a final layer of crackers.
- Let stand at room temperature to set for about two hours.
- Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler.
- Once it has melted, mix in vegetable oil and combine with chocolate.
- Flip bars out of the pan, gently peeling away the wax paper.
- Cut at cracker seams and then cut them in half again.
- Dip bars in melted chocolate and shake off excess.
- Let set on wax or parchment to set before serving.