The Chew: Stacked Challenge
Michael Symon said that a lot of people have woken up in the middle of the night and needed a snack to find satisfaction. For The Chew’s Stacked episode, he did a midnight fridge raid using mystery ingredients to improvise a Triple Decker Spicy Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Recipe.
Symon said he loves the creamy combination of protein and fat from refried beans. He also created his Cleveland-style barbecue sauce using vinegar, hot sauce, and spicy ballpark mustard. Sounds tasty!
The Chew audience was shocked and amazed by the audacity of this richly layered sandwich. Do you think you could eat this as a meal? If so, be careful so you don’t burn your mouth like Michael did in his hurry to taste this creation.
The Chew: Michael Symon Triple Decker Spicy Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- 6 1/2” thick slices Challah Bread
- 3 tbsp pickled Jalapenos
- 1/4 cup Sherry Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Spicy Mustard
- 1 cup leftover Pulled Pork
- 2 tbsp pickled Red Onions
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/4 cup Refried Beans
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 sliced Avocado
- 3 tbsp fresh Cilantro leaves
Michael Symon: The Chew Triple Decker Spicy Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Recipe Directions
- Turn a panini press on its lowest setting to preheat it.
- Layer two sandwiches with pepper jack between challah slices.
- Spread butter on the outside of the sandwiches.
- Crisp them in a panini press to brown bread and melt cheese.
- On one of the unused bread slices, spread refried beans.
- Top with jalapenos and salt. Top with the remaining bread slice.
- Toast in the panini press to a crisp.
- Heat vinegar with sugar, mustard, and hot sauce on medium high in a sauce pot.
- Stir to melt sugar and adjust to taste.
- Stir in pork to heat through.
- Top a grilled cheese sandwich with pulled pork.
- Place the refried bean sandwich in the middle.
- Top with avocado.
- Add red onions and cilantro.
- Finish with the remaining grilled cheese on top.