The Chew: Time Machine Week
Carla Hall took a drive in The Chew’s Time Machine (after Chicken on a String and Paella). This time it was back to 1977, where Carla combined “dancing and dining” into her Dynamite Disco Fries Recipe.
If you actually see Carla on the road, watch out, because she has hit people with her car in two separate accidents. She is probably safer in the kitchen, where she mashed up herb fries with a queso dip to create a cheesy snack treat.
The Chew: Dry Potatoes & Double Fry Method
According to Mario Batali and Carla, no one knew what was going on in the ‘70s. Drier potatoes mean crispier fries, so keep that in mind when you are shopping. This recipe uses a double fry method to get the crispy goodness locked in. Toss in the herbs and enjoy the fries with cheese on the side, or drizzle it on top if you prefer.
The Chew: Carla Hall Dynamite Disco Fries Recipe Ingredients
- 3 lb scrubbed, cut Russet Potatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped Parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped Thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped Rosemary
- Canola Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Cheddar Dip Ingredients
- 1 minced Shallot
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 lb shredded Aged White Cheddar
- 2 minced cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- Salt & Pepper
Carla Hall: The Chew Dynamite Disco Fries Recipe Directions
- Heat oil to 300 F.
- Fry potatoes in batches at 300 F for six minutes.
- Let drain on a cooling rack suspended over a baking sheet.
- Turn up oil temperature to 365 F.
- Fry partially cooked potatoes once again, about five to six minutes, to golden and crisp.
- Rest on a plate and season with herbs, salt and pepper.
- To make the dip, heat butter in a sauce pot on medium.
- Add shallot and salt, cooking three minutes until translucent.
- Cook garlic until fragrant.
- Add flour and cayenne. Stir into a paste.
- Whisk in milk and stir to prevent lumps.
- Salt and pepper. Cook five to six minutes, until just thick.
- Take off heat, adjust seasonings, and serve with fries.