The Chew: Dessert with Chris Harrison
Carla Hall teamed up with guest host Chris Harrison (host of TV’s The Bachelor) and a lucky lady from the studio audience, Elise, to make a Sweet and Salty Caramel Sundae Recipe.
Chris chose someone from the audience by giving a wooden spoon to a special lady in the audience, Elise. This dish contains several sweet and salty flavors that combine textures for a delicious result that would truly impress a date.
The Chew: Carla Hall Sweet and Salty Caramel Sundae Recipe Ingredients
- 2 pints Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup packed Light Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Pecan halves
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup chopped Dark Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Turbinado Sugar
- 2 sliced Bananas
Carla Hall: The Chew Sweet and Salty Caramel Sundae Recipe Directions
- Heat sugar for caramel sauce on high in a saucepan.
- Once sugar starts to melt, stir intensely until it comes to a boil.
- As crystals have melted, pour in butter, whisking to melt it.
- Take off heat.
- Slowly whisk in sour cream; salt.
- Continue whisking until smooth.
- Let cool in the pan before transferring to a mason jar.
- Let the jar cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Warm before serving.
- For the pecans, preheat your oven on 300 F.
- Beat egg whites into stiff peaks in a bowl.
- Whisk remaining ingredients, except the pecans.
- Add spices and whip to mix them in.
- Fold in pecans to coat them in the mixture.
- Spread on parchment over a baking sheet, baking 35-40 minutes and stirring often.
- Let the sheet pan cool and then transfer to a sealed container.
- Bring cream nearly to a boil and pour over chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- Whisk together until combined.
- Place banana slices on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Use a torch to brulee them to golden brown.
- Add scoops of vanilla ice cream to serving glasses or bowls.
- Drizzle warmed caramel sauce.
- Top with pecans, ganache, and bananas to taste.