The Chew: Macaroni & Cheese Special
Michael Symon called his meat lovers’ Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese Recipe “the Reese’s peanut butter cup of mac and cheeses.” It looked gooey and delicious! Want more cheesy ideas? Try Carla Hall’s Mac and Cheese Cheddar Crumble or Goat Cheese Fettuccine.
Don’t forget you will need Michael’s Homemade Velveeta Recipe from a previous show to help you get the creamy, delicious sauce using homemade ingredients. You could also cut down on prep time by purchasing pulled pork from your butcher or grocery store.
Michael Symon: The Chew Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- 3 1/2 lb Pork Shoulder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Hot Paprika
- 1 diced Yellow Onion
- 1 diced Carrot
- 1 halved Jalapeno
- 12 oz IPA Beer
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 diced ribs Celery
- 4 cloves peeled, smashed Garlic
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Mac & Cheese Ingredients
- 1 lb Cavatappi Pasta
- 3/4 cup Flour
- Michael’s Block ‘o Cheese
- 1/3 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 stick Butter
- 5 cups Milk
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1/3 cup sliced Scallions
- Salt & Pepper
The Chew: Michael Symon Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese Recipe Directions
- Combine dry spices for the pork and season generously using the entire mix.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat an oven to 300 F.
- Let pork sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a dutch oven on medium high.
- Add olive oil to brown pork, with skin side down.
- Sear about four minutes and change sides for another four minutes.
- Let rest on a plate.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, celery, onion and carrot with thyme and salt.
- Cook for a few minutes to let the veggies start to caramelize.
- Use beer to deglaze the pan.
- Once it has reduced by half, add chicken stock.
- Let simmer and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Return pork and roast in the oven, covered, for two hours.
- Turn it over halfway through cooking time.
- Remove and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Shred and mix with barbecue sauce.
- Salt water and boil it on high heat.
- Add pasta and cook one minute under package directions.
- Rinse with cold water and reserve.
- Return pot to medium high heat and melt butter.
- Whisk in flour and make a paste.
- Add two cups of milk, whisking to prevent lumps. Add remaining milk.
- Bring to a low boil and stir using a rubber spatula, scraping all sides.
- Salt and pepper. Add hot sauce.
- Add cheese once milk gently bubbles.
- Stir constantly until well-melted.
- Add in pasta and combine. Season as preferred.
- Combine panko and scallions in a bowl and reserve.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Spread pork in a layer in the bottom of a deep pan.
- Pour macaroni on top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Broil about five minutes, until bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let rest before serving.