The Chew: Breakfast Basics
Michael Symon tackled a classic breakfast dish that goes by a variety of names, including flapjacks. Check out this easy-to-make Souffle Pancakes Recipe. You will be glad you did!
This is a basic batter, and it is also used to prepare Mario Batali’s savory Prosciutto and Spinach Clafoutis and a Fried Banana dessert. If you want to make your pancakes a little more fresh, try adding some lemon zest.
The Chew: Vanilla Bean Uses
You could use seeds from a fresh vanilla bean as well if you want to upgrade from vanilla extract. To get your money’s worth, store a vanilla bean in sugar, bourbon, or vodka to get extra flavor out of the bean. Carla said you can even keep using it once you pull it out of the sugar. Dry it in the oven and pulse it with salt to make a homemade vanilla salt!
The Chew: Michael Symon Souffle Pancakes Recipe Ingredients
How can you scoop perfect pancakes? Ladle directly into the center of a skillet, and if it is well-seasoned, it may stay well-formed even without adding fat to the pan.
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted Butter
- pinch of Salt
- 3 Egg Whites
- Powdered Sugar
- Maple Syrup
Michael Symon: The Chew Souffle Pancakes Recipe Directions
- Whisk yolks and Half & Half to combine.
- Mix in flour with melted butter, salt, sugar, and vanilla. Reserve.
- Whip egg whites into loose peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into yolk mix to combine, but don’t deflate the peaks.
- Prepare a skillet.
- On medium heat, add a spoonful of batter.
- Cook around one minute, until it bubbles on the top side.
- Then flip and finish cooking on the other side.
- Transfer to a plate tented with foil to keep warm as you cook remaining pancakes.
- Garnish with maple syrup and powdered sugar to serve hot.