The Chew Viewers’ Choice: Time Saving Suppers
The Chew’s Viewers’ Choice week continued with a Time Saving Suppers show, and this time Michael Symon had a Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs Recipe, so you can set it and forget it. Symon loves braising short ribs, and he said that viewers are always asking for more slow cooker dinner ideas.
This meal is designed to capture the beauty of a braise with the convenience of a Crock Pot. The secrets are found in browning and caramelization, which you can do in the slow cooker if you have a big enough pan.
If you don’t, just brown the meat on the stove, pour the drippings into the slow cooker when you are done, and you are still going to get that tasty flavor. The salad is crunchy and light to balance the rich fat of the meat.
The Chew: Michael Symon Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs Recipe Ingredients
- 6 Bone-In Short Ribs
- 1 diced Onion
- 3 cloves peeled, smashed Garlic
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp Whole Coriander
- 1 sliced Jalapeno
- 1” sliced Ginger
- 2 whole Star Anise
- 1 1/2 quarts Water
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Kale Salad Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups thin sliced Kale
- 1/4 cup shaved Red Onion
- 1 cup shaved Red Radish
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon: The Chew Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs Recipe Directions
- Preheat a slow cooker to high.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Once the crock is hot, coat the bottom in oil and add ribs.
- Sear them for a few minutes on each side, to golden brown.
- Cook in batches as needed to avoid overcrowding.
- Remove and reserve seared short ribs.
- Add in onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, and salt.
- Stir veggies until aromatic.
- Add water and simmer.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add cinnamon, anise, and coriander.
- Return short ribs to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for seven to eight hours or low for 10-11 hours.
- Meat should be tender and fall off the bone when done.
- For the salad, massage sliced kale by hand to tenderize it.
- Add in radish, onion, oil and vinegar.
- Season to taste and serve with the ribs.
The Chew: Carla Hall’s Chicken Shortcuts
- Use a baking rack to quickly chop deviled eggs into a bowl for an egg salad shortcut.
- Cut off the top of a used salt shaker and press it into the lid of a mason jar to create a pour top for custom spice blends.
- Attach velcro strips to the ends of a kitchen towel so it won’t fall off the oven handle when you open the door.