The Chew: Our Secret Recipes
Michael Symon shared one of his favorite secret recipes on The Chew, with some help from Carla Hall. It was another edition of How’d They Make That?, featuring a classic game day food. Try this simple Corn Dogs Recipe that kids and adults can agree on.
It’s surprisingly simple to make these tasty treats at home, and it only requires a handful of ingredients. Don’t be surprised by the sugar, because they should be just a tad sweet. As for the cornmeal, use a fine grind, but avoid instant varieties.
The Chew: Michael Symon Cooking Secrets
Here are some of Michael’s favorite cooking secrets.
- Soak sliced onions in ice water to remove the raw flavor, keeping them light and crunchy.
- Toast and grind your own whole spices in clear pepper mills.
- Add acidity to enhance flavor. Use citrus zest, horseradish, or vinegar if you are trying to cut back on salt.
The Chew: Michael Symon Corn Dogs Recipe Ingredients
Try subbing in your favorite sausage to make your corn dogs extra fancy. Michael shared the spicy ketchup recipe from his Lola restaurant to serve with this.
- 8 Beef Hot Dogs
- 4 quarts Canola Oil
- 8 Skewers
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 3 cups Cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
Lola Spicy Ketchup Ingredients
- 3 cloves minced Garlic
- 5 seeded, minced Fresno Chiles
- 1/4 tsp crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 cup Beer
- 1 minced Yellow Onion
- 1 seeded, minced Ancho Chile
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
Michael Symon: The Chew Corn Dogs Recipe Directions
- Heat canola oil to 360 F – 375 F.
- Combine baking soda with flour, cornmeal, salt and sugar.
- Separately, whisk egg, buttermilk and water.
- Mix together the wet and dry mixes. Let stand five minutes.
- Add a little water if you think the batter is too thick.
- Pour some batter in a pint glass and let stand one hour.
- Skewer hot dogs and line them on a sheet tray.
- Place cornstarch on one end of the tray.
- Roll dogs through starch and tap off excess.
- Dip hot dogs in the pint glass of batter and slowly slide into the oil.
- Fry for three to four minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- Let stand on a draining rack or paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with favorite condiments.
Lola Spicy Ketchup Directions
- Heat olive oil with garlic, onion and salt for about five minutes.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and simmer.
- Let cook about an hour to meld flavors. Strain and cool.
- Store, covered and refrigerated, for up to two weeks.