The Chew: Braised Ribs & Kale Salad Recipe
To celebrate the release of their new book The Chew: Year of Celebrations, The Chew crew whipped up plenty of great recipes from the book on their show did. Michael Symon made his Braised Short Ribs with Pearl Onions & Potatoes recipe, which was perfectly paired with Daphne Oz’s Greens with Attitude recipe. Check both of these mouthwatering dishes below!
The Chew: Michael Symon Braised Short Ribs with Pearl Onions & Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
- 8 Beef Short Ribs (English-cut, bone-in, 2 inches thick, about 5 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Pearl Onions
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 8 Cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Sprigs Rosemary (tied in bundle)
- 6 Carrots (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 2 pounds Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes (halved)
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup Dry Red Wine
- 3 cups Beef Stock
- 1 cup Fresh Horse Radish
- 1 cup Parsley
- 1/2 cup Pickled Red Onions
Michael Symon: The Chew Braised Short Ribs with Pearl Onions & Potatoes Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Season the short ribs very aggressively with salt and pepper. Bring a large Dutch oven to medium high heat, add olive oil, and cook short ribs on all sides until seared, about 5 minutes per side. Then remove to a plate.
- Add carrots and pearl onions. After about two minutes, when fragrant, add the tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Tie together bay leaf, rosemary, and parsley stems with kitchen twine and add it into the pan. The twine is so you can easily get it back.
- Toss in the garlic and flour and stir to coat everything with the flour. When you’re slicing the garlic, Michael says to leave the big chunks in there because it’s great that way for braising.
- Deglaze with wine and stir, making sure to scrape the bottom as much as possible. Add potatoes, ribs, and stock. A tip for cutting the potatoes: find the smallest one and try to make all the rest of them the same size so they cook evenly.
- Cover and put in the oven for 3 hours until short ribs are very tender. If you wanted to, you could keep the short ribs on the stove top for 3 1/2 to 4 hours on low heat. That’s the way Michael demonstrated on the show. He also recommended basting, as opposed to stirring, every so often. Just scoop some of the liquid up and drizzle on top. Another tip is that Mario said if you’re not sure when your company will arrive or when they want to eat, you can leave it on the stovetop on a low heat for an hour to an hour and a half.
- When you serve this delicious dish, garnish with pickled red onions, horseradish, and parsley, or else serve them on top of Daphne Oz’s Greens with Attitude recipe.
The Chew: Daphne Oz Greens with Attitude Recipe Ingredients
- 1 large Bunch Black Kale (Leaves Torn into Bite-sized Pieces)
- 1/4 cup Grape seed Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 White Onion (Thinly Sliced)
- 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon White Miso
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 Mango (Diced)
- 1 Avocado (Diced)
- Olive Oil
Daphne Oz: The Chew Greens with Attitude Recipe Directions
- In a food processor, pulse together the onions and white wine vinegar and let marinate for about 5 minutes.
- Add the kale to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Massage kale with your hands, making sure to coat kale with olive oil. Clinton and Daphne both said this process was absolutely key to making kale more tasty. It helps to break down the cell structure. Then add the mangoes and avocados.
- Add white miso and sugar to the onions and vinegar and pulse for a few seconds. Drizzle in the grape seed oil and pulse again. Clinton said this dressing was so delicious it made him want to eat more salads.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.