The Chew: Mystery Fridge Challenge
Mario Batali was challenged to choose between three different refrigerators in a Mystery Fridge Challenge on The Chew. Whichever refrigerator he chose, he had to use all the ingredients inside.
Ultimately, the fridge Mario Batali chose was a refrigerator with corned beef, beets, jalapeno, tomato paste, mushrooms, and parsley. Mario was pretty comfortable with these items and decided to make a Mystery Hash with Fried Eggs & Hollandaise recipe. Check it out below!
The Chew: Mario Batali Mystery Hash with Fried Eggs & Hollandaise Recipe Ingredients
- 8 ounces Yellow New Potatoes (1/4″ dice)
- 1 Red Onion (1/4″ dice)
- 8 ounces Corned Beef (1/4″ dice)
- 6 ounces Steamed Beets (1/4″ dice)
- 8 ounces Cremini Mushrooms (1/4″ dice)
- 3 Jalapenos (stems and seeds removed, finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 bunch Chives (chopped)
- 1/2 bunch Scallions (chopped)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Butter
- Juice of Half a Lemon
- Hot Sauce
Mario Batali: The Chew Mystery Hash with Fried Eggs & Hollandaise Recipe Directions
- Mario said it’s really important for all of your vegetables to be the same size for this recipe so they cook at about the same rate. Start off with some olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Then, add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes,corned beef, beets, jalapenos, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes, until everything is browned and cooked and delicious.
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for another minute. Then add in the cream and cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are golden brown and cooked through.
- At the very last minute, toss in the parsley and scallions.
- To make the hollandaise sauce, blend together egg yolks, lemon juice, a punch of salt, and some of your favorite hot sauce.
- Melt butter in a microwave or in a saucepan. Then blend it into the blender.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Mystery Hash with fried eggs, the hollandaise sauce, parsley, and chives on top.