The Chew Extra Value Friday: Daphne’s Baby Shower
The Chew crew threw a brunch feast on a budget for mom-to-be Daphne Oz, and Mario Batali’s contribution was a Swiss Chard & Sausage Frittata Recipe. (Also try Michael Symon’s Banana Croissant Bread Pudding.)
Daphne Oz has had some changing tastes during her pregnancy. She has been more welcoming to high-calorie dishes and not as loyal to her vegan-friendly healthy choices. I wonder whether she will want to get right back on track after her baby arrives.
I can never get a frittata to come out quite as beautifully as they always do on television, but I guess I just need to keep practicing.
Mario Batali: The Chew Swiss Chard & Sausage Frittata Recipe Ingredients
This savory brunch meal is perfect to balance out the typically sweet accouterments that tend to creep their way onto our breakfast tables. Daphne loves green veggies, so there is plenty of healthy texture from the wilted Swiss Chard in this meal.
Daphne asked Mario to “go big” when it came to his pecorino portions in this recipe, and she agreed that she is not watching her weight at this point. The eggs, sausage, and goodies all get stirred together into a satisfying concoction that you could finish on the oven if you don’t want to pop it into the stove.
- 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage (out of casing)
- 3 cloves minced Garlic
- 8 Eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino
- 1 sliced Red Onion
- 2 bunches chiffonade sliced Swiss Chard
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
The Chew: Mario Batali Swiss Chard & Sausage Frittata Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Heat olive oil in a pan to brown the sausage, breaking it up as you go.
- Stir in chard with red onion.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl with garlic.
- Add sausage, chard and onion with the eggs and mix together. Salt and pepper.
- Return to saute pan.
- Sprinkle in pecorino.
- Put it in the oven and cook until set.
- Broil before serving to brown the pecorino.
- Cut into slices and serve.