The Chew: Pancake Batter Clafoutis
The Chew’s Mario Batali continued the Breakfast Basics theme by using Michael Symon’s souffle pancake batter into a spin on a Clafoutis Recipe with savory Italian ingredients. (You can also use the batter to make Fabio Viviani’s fried bananas.)
Prosciutto is one of Mario’s favorite meats in the world, and he suggested finding a great butcher who will slice it to order. About 1/8 pound will give you what you need to make four portions of this recipe, and though it is expensive, a little bit goes a long way.
Of course, it’s not a Mario Batali recipe without Parmigiano-Reggiano, so be sure you have plenty of that on hand if you are going to channel your inner Batali (orange Crocs will help you get in the spirit as well). “The only thing missing is a glass of Proseco,” he said.
The Chew: Mario Batali Prosciutto and Spinach Clafoutis Recipe Ingredients
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted Butter
- pinch of Salt
- 1 bunch cleaned Spinach
- 1 clove sliced Garlic
- 4 oz sliced Prosciutto
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Salt & Pepper
Mario Batali: The Chew Prosciutto and Spinach Clafoutis Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine yolks with Half & Half.
- Mix flour in with melted butter, sugar, and salt.
- Reserve this yolk mixture.
- Whip egg whites into loose peaks.
- Fold whites into yolks to gently combine.
- Add butter with garlic and spinach to a skillet, cooking to wilt.
- Salt and pepper the skillet.
- Stir and take off heat.
- Pour filling into the bottom of a ceramic pie dish.
- Pour batter on top.
- Sprinkle a layer of parmigiano-reggiano.
- Bake about 25 minutes, until golden and puffy.
- Serve warm, garnished with extra parmigiano.