The Chew: Little Big Town
Karen Fairchild, Kimberly Schlapman, Jimi Westbrook, and Phillip Sweet, better known as Little Big Town, have been racking up awards as one of country music’s hottest groups. The band dropped in on Mario Batali and Carla Hall to learn how to make this from-scratch Cinnamon Twists Recipe.
The whole band said this dessert passed their taste test. They also showed us their music video for “Your Side of the Bed.” It stars Karen and Jimi, who have been married for eight years. They will spend Valentine’s Day playing with George Strait on his final tour.
Finally, they gave everyone a sneak peek at the new video for “Sober.”
The Chew: Mario Batali Cinnamon Twists Recipe Ingredients
Do you want to make cinnamon rolls from scratch? Mario said his recipe uses pizza dough as a base, and even kids love it. The wine provides acidity and the alcohol cooks out.
- 1/4 cup Light Wine
- 2 1/4 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 stick melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Demerara (or Turbinado Sugar)
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 2 tbsp Warm Water
Mario Batali: The Chew Cinnamon Rolls Recipe Directions
- Mix the water with wine and yeast in a large bowl, stirring to dissolve.
- Add in salt, olive oil, and honey, mixing well.
- Add one cup of flour and mix into a loose batter, using a wooden spoon.
- Add the remaining flour, stirring for a few minutes to mix as best you can.
- Knead dough by hand on a flour-dusted surface for about seven minutes.
- Once dough is smooth and firm, place it in an oiled bowl covered with a towel.
- Let stand in a warm kitchen for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare a small cake pan.
- Roll dough out to 1/8” thick.
- Spread melted butter on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the butter.
- Cut away from you, slicing dough into 2” strips.
- Arrange dough in the cake pan, filling as much of the space as you can. Let the rolls touch.
- Bake 40 minutes to a deep golden brown.
- Combine powdered sugar with warm water and whisk until totally smooth.
- Adjust sugar and water to preferred taste.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Drizzle glaze over baked rolls and serve hot.