The Chew: Mac ‘n Cheese Monday
The Chew crew teamed up to make some magical Macaroni & Cheese Recipes that will have you salivating. Carla Hall put pecans and cheddar in a crumble topping for this Mac & Cheese Cheddar Crumble Recipe. You should also check out Michael Symon’s Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese, as well as Mario Batali’s Goat Cheese Fettuccine.
The onion here will melt away but leave some rich layered flavor in its wake. Just don’t ask Carla’s mom to make it, because she can’t cook! Her grandmother was a great cook to the age of 96, however.
The Chew: Carla Hall Mac & Cheese Cheddar Crumble Recipe Ingredients
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 1/2 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 12 oz shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Mustard Powder
- 1/4 cup minced Yellow Onion
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 lb Elbow Macaroni
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lb Butter
- 2 cups toasted, chopped Pecans
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 4 cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 lb shredded Cheddar Cheese
Carla Hall: The Chew Mac & Cheese Cheddar Crumble Recipe Directions
- Combine pecans with flour, cayenne and salt in a bowl.
- Cream cheddar with butter in a mixer.
- Slowly mix in flour ingredients to combine.
- Make dough into a log, wrap with plastic, and chill for one hour.
- Crumble the log on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, to deep golden brown, rotating the pan during cooking.
- Let completely cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 F.
- Boil a pot of water and season it heavily with salt. Bring to a boil.
- Melt butter on medium in a sauce pan.
- Whisk flour and mustard into butter for about five minutes to prevent lumps.
- Add milk, onion and paprika. Let simmer for 10 minutes, whisking as needed.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl. Add a bit of the hot milk.
- Whisk egg into the milk.
- Stir in 3/4 of the sharp cheddar. Salt and pepper.
- Cook macaroni to al dente, about two minutes, in the boiling salted water.
- Drain macaroni and stir it into the cheese sauce.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Spread the macaroni and cheese in an even layer.
- Top with remaining sharp cheddar.
- Bake 25 minutes, to brown the top.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with crumble topping.
- Return to oven to finish for a few minutes.
- Serve hot.