The Chew: Weight Watchers Desserts
Ryan Hutmacher was back as one of the finalists in The Chew’s Search for the Weight Watchers Chef. He said he loves “bringing together functional ingredients that are prepared easily and conveniently, and it just happens to be good for you.” His contribution to the dessert contest was this Angel Food Trifle Recipe.
He said there are many layers to love, a concept he translated into this layered trifle dessert. It has the cream cheese and chocolate layers that will have you feeling sweet and salty when you make this Valentine’s dessert.
The judges scored Ryan at an 84/90, resulting in a tie going into the final cook-off in the next week of competition. It all comes down to one more Weight Watchers recipe.
The Chew: Weight Watchers Angel Food Trifle Recipe Ingredients
- 1 package Angel Food Cake
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 3 cups sliced Strawberries
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
Cream Cheese Ingredients
- 8 tbsp room temperature Light Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
Chocolate Sauce Ingredients
- 3 oz 75% Dark Chocolate Chips
- 3 oz Heavy Whipping Cream
Weight Watchers: The Chew Angel Food Trifle Recipe Directions
- Combine filling ingredients and chill for one hour.
- Combine cream cheese ingredients and chill for one hour.
- Use cupcake liners to prepare muffin pans.
- Mix cocoa powder and water.
- Add water to cake mix in a bowl and beat to combine for about a minute.
- Pour batter to fill liners about 2/3 full, resulting in 24 cupcakes.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Place chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl.
- Heat whipping cream until steaming.
- Pour cream over chocolate and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let stand five minutes.
- Stir mixture together. Replace plastic wrap and reserve.
- Remove paper liners from cooled cupcakes.
- Assemble trifles in 8 oz. canning jars.
- Slice two cupcakes horizontally.
- Place a cupcake half in the bottom of a jar.
- Layer strawberries and cream cheese.
- Add another cupcake half, strawberries, and chocolate sauce.
- Repeat alternating layers and finish with a cupcake half.
- Drizzle strawberry juice and chocolate sauce on top.