The Chew: Pigskin Platters
Chef Mario Batali said that his idea of a perfect game day snack is Green Chile Taquitos, which is what he made for this Pigskin Platters episode of The Chew, with an assist from Clinton Kelly, who also contributed a beverage to go with them.
The Chew: Mario Batali Green Chile Taquitos Recipe Ingredients
Substitute your own favorite slow-cooking and inexpensive cut of meat for pork if you prefer. Cook faster if you prefer by cutting your meat into smaller pieces.
- Pork Butt
- Poblano Peppers
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Serrano Peppers
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- Ale Beer
- Chicken Stock
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Mario Batali: The Chew Green Chile Taquitos Recipe Directions
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Brown it on all sides in the pan. Reserve.
- Saute onions and garlic in the pot.
- Add cumin.
- Use beer to deglaze the pan.
- Roast your peppers over an open flame to char the skins.
- Peel the skins. Use running water if necessary.
- Blend tomatillos with peppers, salt, water and cilantro to puree.
- Pour the blended mixture into the pot.
- Return the pork to the pot and let it simmer, cooking two hours until it’s falling off the bone.
- Let cool until you are able to handle it.
- Shred the pork.
- Cook tortillas on a dry griddle pan.
- Scoop the shredded pork mixture into the tortillas and use toothpicks to hold the taquitos together.
- Chill for 30 minutes before frying in 360 F oil to crisp the outsides.
- Season with smoked paprika and salt before serving.
- Serve with hot sauce, guacamole or whatever you like.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Grapefruit Jalapeno Margarita Recipe
Need something to wash down those taquitos? Clinton shared his Grapefruit Jalapeno Margarita Recipe.
- Grapefruit Juice
- Lime Juice
- Simple Syrup
- Jalapeno Tequila
- Triple Sec
- Add sliced jalapenos and vodka to a container and let it infuse overnight, or for several days if you have the time.
- Combine grapefruit with lime juice, simple syrup, jalapeno tequila, and triple sec.
- Shake over ice.
- Serve garnished with a jalapeno slice.