The Chew: Pancake Batter Fried Bananas
Top Chef competitor and restaurateur Fabio Viviani was back on The Chew for the Breakfast Basics show, turning Michael Symon’s Souffle Pancake Batter into this Fried Bananas Dessert Recipe. (You can also use it to make Mario’s Clafoutis Recipe.)
Viviani is celebrating his engagement to Lisa Long, and the two plan to be married within the next year. They are searching for the perfect European destination for their festivities. Meanwhile, he is preparing to open a new South Beach location of Siena Tavern in Miami, Florida.
Growing up in Italy, he said that breakfast was never a big part of his day, and he would grab something sweet with coffee in the morning.
The Chew: Fabio Viviani Fried Bananas Recipe with Chocolate-Hazelnut Sauce Ingredients
The flour butter helps to offset the moisture of the bananas, and the pancake batter is soft enough to make for a perfect breakfast dessert. Every now and then, don’t you want to start your morning off with a sweet treat?
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted Butter
- pinch of Salt
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 sliced Banana
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Hazelnut Chocolate Spread
- Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Fabio Viviani: The Chew Fried Bananas with Chocolate-Hazelnut Sauce Recipe Directions
- Heat about 1” of oil to 360 F.
- Whisk yolks with Half & Half.
- Mix in flour with butter, vanilla, sugar, and salt.
- Whisk egg whites into loose peaks.
- Fold egg whites into yolks gently to combine.
- Pour an inch or so of batter into a glass bowl.
- Dredge banana slices in flour, shaking off extra.
- Next, dredge in batter, letting excess drip off.
- Fry banana coins to golden brown.
- Rest on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat hazelnut spread with heavy cream to a pourable consistency.
- Drizzle fried banana slices with with hazelnut chocolate cream and serve warm.