The Chew: Lauren Cohan Walking Dead
Lauren Cohan plays a tough zombie slayer on AMC’s The Walking Dead, and she teamed up with The Chew’s Clinton Kelly to make a classic recipe for Shrimp & Grits on the show.
Cohan plays a Southerner, but she grew up in England. She has a British accent, but she spent her first few years in New Jersey, where she was born. You can watch her crazy, gory antics on The Walking Dead, Sunday nights on AMC. Cohan admitted that she is never sure whether she will find out that her character dies in the next episode’s script.
The cast and crew used to celebrate with Death Dinners to send off departing characters, but they have had to change their plans, because Atlanta waitstaff kept figuring out what they were up to.
The Chew: Shrimp & Grits Dinner
Creole Shrimp & Grits is a simple recipe that would be perfect for her on-screen character. “What’s better than shrimp and bacon together?" Clinton wondered aloud. Michael Symon agreed that not much could beat that power combination.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Creole Shrimp & Grits Recipe Ingredients
- 1/4 lb chopped smoked Bacon
- 2 tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 lb peeled, deveined Extra Large Shrimp
- 2 cloves sliced Garlic
- 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
- Hot Sauce
- 2 cups Stone Ground Yellow Grits
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated White Cheddar Cheese
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Creole Shrimp & Grits Recipe Directions
- Cook grits following box directions.
- Stir cheese into grits and tweak seasonings to taste.
- Saute bacon on low to render the fat.
- Remove bacon once it is crisp.
- Turn heat to medium high.
- Season shrimp with creole seasoning and add to bacon fat.
- Cook for a couple minutes per side, to opaque.
- Set shrimp aside.
- Add garlic and use chicken stock to deglaze.
- Reduce heat on medium low and stir in tomato puree.
- Cook to thicken for around five minutes.
- Return shrimp to the pan and toss to coat in sauce.
- Serve shrimp with sauce over grits.
- Garnish with bacon, chives, and hot sauce.