The Chew: C Vs C Casserole Battle
Clinton Kelly took on his co-host from The Chew, Carla Hall, in a casserole battle judged by the Tasting Table. His dish was a Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe. Could it beat out Carla Hall’s idea for a Grilled Cheese Tomato Casserole?
You can cheat on this recipe at home by using tortilla chips instead of making your own fried tortillas. The sauce is one key to layering flavor in each and every bite.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 diced Onion
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 cups Tomato Puree
- 18 Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup Mexican Crema (or use Sour Cream)
- 2 cups Salsa Fresca
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 cups shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 lb shredded Jack Cheese
- 1 cup chopped Cilantro
- Vegetable Oil
- Queso Freso
- chopped Avocados
- Lime Wedges
- Mexican Crema
- Pickled Jalapenos
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe Directions
- Heat oil on medium to make the sauce.
- Saute onions a few minutes, until they become translucent.
- Cook garlic until fragrant, about one minute.
- Stir in flour and spices, toasting briefly.
- Add chicken stock, tomato puree, and salt.
- Simmer about 15 minutes, occasionally stirring until just thick.
- Take off heat, pureeing until smooth. Reserve.
- Turn the oven on to preheat to 375 F.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350 F in a skillet.
- Fry tortillas individually for about 10 seconds each.
- Keep warm, and then dip each in the sauce.
- Layer four tortillas in the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish.
- Spread half the chicken in a layer.
- Build additional layers of Crema, jack cheese, salsa fresca, and cilantro.
- Repeat all layers, starting and finishing with tortillas. (Reserve 1 cup cheese for the very top.)
- Bake 20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve with topping choices.