The Chew Slumber Party
Clinton Kelly made Spaghetti Bolognese for The Chew’s Slumber Party, based in part on the recipe his mother made for him as a child. He was a little nervous about making it for Mario Batali. This recipe is a bit different, because it has bacon, which is not a typical bolognese ingredient (but it is good in almost everything!).
Do you ever spend a day hanging around the house in your pajamas? Clinton said this is a good recipe you can let cook so that the kitchen smells delicious and you cannot wait to eat the amazing results. The sweet vermouth was another tweak that Kelly added to update the recipe.
A cup of chicken stock will let it seem soupy, but since it cooks for a very long time, it will thicken as it works. It’s always great to have options, and it’s a good reminder that there is really no wrong way to make pasta as a meal.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe Ingredients
- 1 chopped Carrot
- 8 oz ground Pork
- 1/4 cup Sweet Vermouth
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 chopped Onion
- 6 slices chopped Smoked Bacon
- 8 oz ground Beef
- 6 cloves smashed Garlic
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 28-oz can crushed Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 lb Spaghetti
- grated Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Clinton Kelly: The Chew Bacon Vermouth Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe Directions
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot on medium high.
- Stir in onion, carrot, and bacon, sauteing to soften.
- Stir in pork and beef with salt and pepper, browning for about seven minutes.
- Add garlic cloves and cook until fragrant.
- Deglaze with vermouth and scrape the pan.
- Add wine and stock with tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce and simmer.
- Cover and cook about six hours, stirring now and then.
- Stir in one cup of milk and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Boil a pot of heavily salted water and cook pasta to al dente.
- Toss cooked noodles in sauce, reserving about a cup of pasta water to bind it all together.
- Garnish with parmesan to serve.