The Chew: Chili Cook-Off
Clinton Kelly presided over The Chew’s Ultimate Chili Cook-Off III, with Michael Symon versus Mario Batali in the show’s third annual competition. Michael prepared a Pork Shoulder Chili to compete against Mario’s Lamb Chili Recipe.
The celebrity judges for the contest included the New York Giants’ Victor Cruz, ESPN analyst Jesse Palmer, and NFL analyst Jerome Bettis. The competing co-hosts were tied, with one win each in the past two years.
The Chew: Michael Symon Pork Shoulder Chili Recipe Ingredients
This spicy, bean-free chili is cooked down in beer. After a taste test, The Chew’s guest judges voted for this dish as the winning chili in the cook-off.
- 3 lb cubed Pork Shoulder
- 2 diced Red Bell Peppers
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp toasted ground Coriander
- 2 bottles IPA
- 2 tbsp pureed Chipotles in Adobo
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Cilantro leaves
- Lime Zest
- 1 lb sliced Bacon
- 1 diced Onion
- 4 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp toasted ground Cumin
- 3 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 14-oz can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 3 cups Tomato Juice
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- Lime Wedges
- Pickled Red Onions
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon: The Chew Pork Shoulder Chili Recipe Directions
- Season pork shoulder with salt and pepper.
- Spread olive oil in a dutch oven, preheated on hot.
- Brown the pork in olive oil, about two minutes per side.
- Rest pork on a plate.
- Drain excess fat and return to medium high heat.
- Cook bacon until crisp so fat has rendered.
- Add onion, garlic and pepper, stirring until fragrant.
- Mix in tomato paste with dry spices, salt and pepper.
- Once spices toast and are aromatic, pour in the IPA to deglaze the dutch oven.
- Return pork to the pot with tomatoes, chipotles, stock and tomato juice.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring now and then, for 90 minutes to two hours, until pork is tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Garnish serving bowls of chili with sour cream, cilantro, pickled red onion, lime wedges and zest.