The Chew: Third Annual Chili Cook-Off
Mario Batali prepared a Lamb Chili Recipe to compete in The Chew’s third annual Chili Cook-Off against Michael Symon and his Pork Shoulder Chili Recipe.
The New York Giants’ Victor Cruz said he had never tried lamb chili before. He and fellow judges Jesse Palmer and Jerome “The Bus” Bettis (both former NFL players turned analysts).
The real winners of this competition are people who love chili, because we have two new and delicious recipes to try. Which of these recipes was your favorite? By a vote of 2-1, the panel of NFL stars awarded Michael Symon’s chili the trophy for this year.
The Chew: Mario Batali Lamb Chili Recipe Ingredients
This lamb chili is a Denver favorite, but Mario dressed it up with some Seattle spices.
- 2 lb Lamb Shoulder/Leg (cut up)
- 1 chopped Red Onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Carrot
- 2 Serrano Chiles
- 2 tsp Hot Pimenton
- 1 tsp ground Turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 3 tbsp Harissa
- 1 cup chopped Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped Celery
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 2 15.5-oz cans rinsed, drained Chickpeas
- Olive Oil
- chopped Jalapenos
- sliced Lemons
- chopped Scallions
Mario Batali: The Chew Lamb Chili Recipe Directions
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- In a dutch oven on medium high, heat olive oil.
- Sear lamb on all sides and reserve on a plate.
- Combine red onion, carrot, celery and salt in the pan to soften for a couple minutes.
- Mix in ginger, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, serranos, garlic, and pimenton, cooking one minute.
- Follow with tomato paste to coat everything. Let rust for one minute.
- Add harissa with water, tomatoes, and chickpeas.
- Return lamb to the pot.
- Bring to a boil; reduce and simmer 45 minutes.
- Serve with choice of toppings.