The Chew: Slow Cooker Apple Dish
Carla Hall whipped up a great Slow Cooker Apple spice Cake recipe on The Chew, It looked absolutely simple and delicious. Check it out below!
The Chew: Carla Hall’s Slow Cooker Apple Spice Cake Recipe Ingredients
- Butter (for greasing)
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Molasses
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups AP Flour (plus extra)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Allspice
- 1 Lemon (zest)
- 1 Pinch Salt
Apple Topping Directions
- 3 Granny Smith Apples (peeled, diced)
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons AP Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Lemon (juice)
- 2 tablespoons Butter (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream (chilled)
- Vanilla Ice Cream to Serve
Carla Hall: The Chew Slow Cooker Apple Spice Cake Recipe Directions
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker and dust with flour and shake out the excess.
- Combine apples, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and brown sugar in a large bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Then make the cake. In a separate large bowl, whisk together oil, molasses, eggs, vanilla, and sugar until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg, lemon zest, salt, and cinnamon. Make sure there’s no lumps. Mario Batali wondered why there was so much cinnamon and nutmeg in here, but Carla said it was a good balance because she wanted it to be flavorful.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until well combined and a batter forms. Pour this mixture right into the slow cooker and put the apple mixture on top. Daphne asked why the apples were on top, rather then mixed in. Carla said as it bakes, it’s going to bake all together. Add the butter right on top of that.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 and a half hours until it’s set. When you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean, that’s when you know it’s done. Carla Hall said this is a relaxing dish where you can just start it up and walk away and take your time with it.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and enjoy!